Tyres - what to do when returning lease

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
senwar

Post by senwar »

My April 2018 XC40 FE goes back to lease company next Monday.

I've had a set of crossclimates on since Jan 2019. Still have 4-5mm on in tread. Original's are continental contisportcontact 5 and have approx 6mm across the 4 (some have 7mm) that I kept.

Are either set of these tyres worth selling on and if so, which ones? I did intend to sell the conti's for about £150 once the car went back but wondered if there'd be any interest in the cross climates at that price?
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels

senwar

Post by senwar »

Car gone this afternoon :( and left the cross climates on.

Will be selling the contis if anytone is interested. sportcontact 6 not 5
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

How did you find the cross climates?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
senwar

Post by senwar »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:52 pm How did you find the cross climates?
Excellent. Gutted I can’t get them on my new car (don’t make them in size).

But happily recommend. Very good tyres with great grip, traction and performance
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Besides subjective feel, you should also look at test figures. It was a known fact that CrossClimate performs poorly in snow, but the latest ADAC test showed another major weakness in dry braking, CrossClimate stoping from 100 km/h by 6.5 m more vs. Primacy 4. In other words, when Primacy 4 came to a halt, CrossClimate was still at 32 km/h! Imagine that in a critical driving situation... https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 am
Besides subjective feel, you should also look at test figures. It was a known fact that CrossClimate performs poorly in snow, but the latest ADAC test showed another major weakness in dry braking, CrossClimate stoping from 100 km/h by 6.5 m more vs. Primacy 4. In other words, when Primacy 4 came to a halt, CrossClimate was still at 32 km/h! Imagine that in a critical driving situation... https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm
There are so many different tests that come up with different answers...usually depends on what it is being compared with. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the 'known fact' statement that CC perform worse in snow.. the crucial bit lacking is in comparison to what????.. Summer tyres? Bald tyres? remoulds? Winter tyres?

I much prefer a summer set and a winter set.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

blastpipe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 am
eugen61 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 am
There are so many different tests that come up with different answers...usually depends on what it is being compared with. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the 'known fact' statement that CC perform worse in snow.. the crucial bit lacking is in comparison to what????.. Summer tyres? Bald tyres? remoulds? Winter tyres?

I much prefer a summer set and a winter set.
You’re absolutely right, what counts is the comparison and the table in the link compares CrossClimate with a summer and a winter tire for specific driving conditions. Test reference summer tire is Michelin Primacy 4 and reference winter tire is Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 (winners in the 2020 ADAC summer and winter test for 235/55 R 17 103 V SUV tire). https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2 ... e-Test.htm

As for the reasoning behind “known fact” of CrossClimate weak snow performance, I was referring to test results since the launch of the tire in 2015 demonstrating notably longer snow breaking distance compared with other all season tires and winter tires.

Ultimately, any type of tire choice comes with some sort of compromise. I might be going in too much detail with my approach, but I think it’s important to have objective facts and understand the test result data before deciding the compromise we can or can’t live with.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

One problem I can see is the lack of snow testing for summer tyres. On tests the CC has a shorter dry brake test than a winter tyre, the same for wet braking but has a snow brake of 31m compared to 27 of a winter tyre. But what does a summer tyre do on the snow?

This is interesting

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/S ... 0c-15c.htm

Summer tyres are good in the summer...good in the dry even in the cold weather...but drop off badly when it comes to cold and wet. Not very good in the snow either. All season aren't quite as good as summer tyres in the summer but much better in the winter particularly in the wet and on snow.
The test suggest summer tyres for the summer then switch to all season for the winter unless you live in mainland europe with worse winters or Nordic areas.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

blastpipe wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 pm One problem I can see is the lack of snow testing for summer tyres. On tests the CC has a shorter dry brake test than a winter tyre, the same for wet braking but has a snow brake of 31m compared to 27 of a winter tyre. But what does a summer tyre do on the snow?

This is interesting

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/S ... 0c-15c.htm

Summer tyres are good in the summer...good in the dry even in the cold weather...but drop off badly when it comes to cold and wet. Not very good in the snow either. All season aren't quite as good as summer tyres in the summer but much better in the winter particularly in the wet and on snow.
The test suggest summer tyres for the summer then switch to all season for the winter unless you live in mainland europe with worse winters or Nordic areas.
That’s a great test, I was not aware of it, thanks for sharing. My winter driving conditions are 3 months in cold, no snow and mainly dry. Initially, I decided for CrossClimate as winter tires and thought about using them all year round, happy with the saving I was going to make by skipping two tire changes a year plus storage fees. But after ADAC tested 235/55 R 17 SUV tires in all conditions and showed a significant weakness for CrossClimate in dry warm breaking, I will switch to Primacy 4 from March till November. The 6.5 m breaking difference from 100 km/h to full stop between the two in dry warm, meaning when Primacy 4 comes to a halt CrossClimate is still at 32 km/h, represents for me an unacceptable compromise for using CrossClimate at temperatures above 10C.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've got some Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVOs coming for mine