Boot liner weight capacity

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chufster

Post by Chufster »

I've just bought an RDesign pro D4 Mild Hybrid with the versatility pack foldable boot liner.

Does anybody know if there is any documentation anywhere about the rated weight allowance for the bootliner? With all the voids underneath for the parcel shelf and the mild hybrid system, I assume that it is a fabric / shelf strength.

I have some rubble to take to the tip and I am worried about breaking the boot floor!

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I’m not sure if it’s there but check the manual for load weights.
You really want to put rubble in the boot of your XC40? Wow! 🤷‍♂️
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

@Chufster Think you're wise to be cautious here. I bet there's no specific figure on boot-loading-per-square metre.

If it was me, I'd fold back the top boot floor and put heavy rubble in (for example) trugs on top of the spare wheel (IYSWIM).
MY2020 R-Design
Chufster

Post by Chufster »

DanishPastry wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:04 pm @Chufster Think you're wise to be cautious here. I bet there's no specific figure on boot-loading-per-square metre.

If it was me, I'd fold back the top boot floor and put heavy rubble in (for example) trugs on top of the spare wheel (IYSWIM).
That's a good idea, thanks. One option could be to wedge the underside of the boot liner so that it is transferring it's load to the boot itself and not suspended on it's clips or rails.

Flippin modern cars! :)
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Or put a good old thick sheet of plywood in the back to spread the point load from the rubble
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Be sure it's a Volvo supplied and approved sheet of plywood (available for £299 from your dealer) to avoid invalidating your warranty ;)
MY2020 R-Design
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Is it a company car!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Chufster

Post by Chufster »

Apologies for the delayed response. No it's a personal car on 3 year lease.

I have put a wooden packer underneath the folding boot liner to transfer the load onto the battery box. Looking at the fittings, I may look to remove the foldable boot liner and rails completely for a small period of time.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

This is something I’ve thought previously and as already said, you’re wise to question it.
The advice already given are ideas I’ve also considered but would probably have plumbed for supporting the cover as you mention.
If the item was small but heavy, I’d probably lower the back seats and place the load there. If you do this though, be sure that the centre seat belt buckle is on top of the seat back when you lower the backrest as it may get trapped and press into the seat back, as happened to me 😐😞
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020