Volvo accident repair

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Hello all,

On Friday evening we were hit by , what subsequently was discovered to be an uninsured driver that did not stop at the scene resulting in some damage to our car. Obviously I informed my insurance ASAP but they do not have a Volvo approved repair centre on their list of service providers, so I contacted Volvo accident repair and obtained details of a centre that is nearest to me .

The question I have is , has anyone used this service and what if any are the advantages of using it when my own insurers agent would have carried out the repairs using OEM replacement parts and would guarantee their repairs for the life of the car whilst it's in my ownership. I also have to pay more excess because I'm not using their approved repairer.

Thoughts??
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.

Leoniums

Post by Leoniums »

There are many factors you have to take into consideration.
How big is the damage of the car.
How old or good is the Volvo repair center.
Prices.
I have done repairs on the past on certified repair centers and on not certified.
Best repairs i had were on non certified but the damages where never 2 big. For big damages i would prefer a certified center because i think they will have acess on special repair documents, and probably they will have more experience with the specific brand.
DrSaint

Post by DrSaint »

I had a front end shunt a couple of years ago. My V40 was on a PCP at the time so I really felt it necessary to use a Volvo repair centre. My insurance company wanted to use their approved (non-Volvo) workshop but agreed I could use my local dealer (Cambridge Garage Havant) at no additional cost.They were excellent and the added bonus is that all genuine Volvo parts were used in the repair. So, I agree , it depends on individual circumstances .
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Personally I would not use another insurance company approved repairer over the manufacturer repair centre.

I have had repairs at insurance approved repairers in the past and there were always issues or just not great quality repairs - those organisations are recommended by the insurers because they usually have big contracts and the insurance company ends up saving money.

You do not have to use the insurance approved repairer, insist on going where you want if you know they have a better reputation. The only downside may be that you will not be lent a courtesy car but most decent repairers do have them available.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Hi all,

I have chosen the Volvo manufacturer approved site instead of the insurance provider mainly because of the guarantee that Volvo give and the fact that the car is only three months old. Oddly the courtesy vehicle is provided by them and not my own insurance, It isn't a Volvo but it will keep us mobile.
Also because there is no third party to claim from I will have to pay an increased excess which I will get back sometime never if the Police or insurance company pursue the scrote that did the damage.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Glad you came to a reasoned and sound decision. Check your insurance, I have never heard of an increased excess because of an uninsured third party.
Hopefully you have legal protection on your policy ? If so then they should be pursuing the third party for you if they are ever identified.
Hope your car is back with you soon and in A1 condition.
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

XC40Warwick wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 pm Glad you came to a reasoned and sound decision. Check your insurance, I have never heard of an increased excess because of an uninsured third party.
Hopefully you have legal protection on your policy ? If so then they should be pursuing the third party for you if they are ever identified.
Hope your car is back with you soon and in A1 condition.
Thanks for this. Its always the case that you find out how good a product is when you actually have to use it and insurance is no different in my experience. They have not exactly been obstructive but haven't exactly helped much either, luckily I don't use the car for anything other than private use so I am in no rush.
What does surprise me is that although I had absolutely no fault associated with this incident when I now go onto the driver profile in my insurance account they have added the statement, under claims/convictions "you and /or someone else hit each other" !! I'll definitely be requesting a change of wording here as I have the dashcam footage of the whole thing which proves I have no lliability.
WayneL

Post by WayneL »

My vehicle got hit by 2 cars during March 2020, I found out that my car insurance didn’t have an approved Volvo repairer, I too went through Volvo themselves, I found the service very good and am also using their legal arm due to the loss of earnings and injuries sustained.

Had I gone through my car insurance, then the repairs would have invalidated my car warranty, this was confirmed when I spoke to Volvo.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

XC40Warwick wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 pm I have never heard of an increased excess because of an uninsured third party.
I think you've mis-read, OP said it was due to using a repairer not on their approved list.

Too late for OP but......there's a number every Volvo owner should have stored in their phone. Insurance repairs are so lucrative, Volvo will give you up to £250 towards your excess:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/explor ... ess-return
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 pm
XC40Warwick wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 pm I have never heard of an increased excess because of an uninsured third party.
I think you've mis-read, OP said it was due to using a repairer not on their approved list.

Too late for OP but......there's a number every Volvo owner should have stored in their phone. Insurance repairs are so lucrative, Volvo will give you up to £250 towards your excess:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/explor ... ess-return
I haven't paid anything yet so i'd be intersted to know more about this.