Blind spots.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

While I very much enjoy my car, I have to admit that the huge C pillars severely limit the over the shoulder view, which can cause dangerous situations. BLIS, cameras and large side mirrors help mitigate the issue but let's face it, smaller C pillars would make us less dependant on sensors and cameras. Almost all rival models are better in this area.

Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:50 pm
Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm I'm pretty sure that all xc40s have rear sensors fitted!
Yes, all XC40s have rear sensors fitted, but these are activated while parking and putting the gearbox in reverse with the sensor range limited to 1m. It doesn’t help while driving and having rear view limitations through the mirrors.
The same as a rear camera then, I was referring to the suggestion of fitting rear sensors instead of a camera. To be honest if the rear pillars are in your view when looking back while changing lane, you would have to have neck like an owl!
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
x-rayted

Post by x-rayted »

My late 2020 production T3 momentum (+ city pack ) has retrofitted rear camera, pilot assist but not BLIS. Im having difficulties on acute angle crossroads , my town has a couple of them.

Can BLIS (and possibly cross traffic alert) be retrofitted aftermarket ?
2020 XC40 T3 FWD Momentum 8AT
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

I found BLIS absolutely brilliant. It gave me complete confidence that I could safely lane-change based on the door mirrors.

Folding down the rear headrests makes a HUGE difference to rear view mirror usefulness.
Despite reading widely here, I'm still unclear if you can manually fold them down if you haven't paid for the appropriate Convenience Pack. Think it's different with different models, and with different model-years.

MY2020 R-Design Pro has power-folding headrests, but also you could press a physical button and manually fold them down.
MY2020 R-Design
Deleted User 3049

Post by Deleted User 3049 »

With my MY2020 RDesign the rear head restraints are fixed.

I haven't found it an issue.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I've often wondered why the rear view mirror hasn't been replaced by a screen with a camera in the centre rear light assembly. No blind spots then!

Did it with my first caravan after I got fed up of drivers racing up close hidden behind the caravan and swinging out just as I indicate to move out!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Felindre wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 pm I've often wondered why the rear view mirror hasn't been replaced by a screen with a camera in the centre rear light assembly. No blind spots then!

Did it with my first caravan after I got fed up of drivers racing up close hidden behind the caravan and swinging out just as I indicate to move out!
You can on a Land Rover...the camera though is the fin on the roof..It's a clearsight rear view mirror
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Donmac

Post by Donmac »

I ordered an Inscription last week with a number of options including BLIS & 360 camera, given the current situation no idea when I’ll get it though.
I ‘m concerned about the blind spot(s) . I had two test drives and the first time I never noticed it was an issue, probably because I didn’t go on dual carriageways. During the second one I was very aware that I could hardly see anything looking over my right shoulder due to the door pillar. However I thought I could get around that by using the wing mirror rather than looking over my shoulder and decided to order the car. Since then I have read a review and some posts on the internet that say the blind spots on the XC40 are large and potentially dangerous. I don’t know anyone that has an XC40 that I can ask their opinion so I’d be pleased to receive any comments from members of the forum as to my concerns and whether the wing mirrors.BLIS and 360 camera (for parking) mitigate these blind spots. I find it difficult to believe that a car as successful as the XC 40 can be spoilt by this problem so perhaps I’m over reacting.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Donmac, you're probably over thinking it.

Yes the all round vision in the XC40 isn't the greatest, but I haven't found it a problem.

We have all round sensors and a reverse camera, but we didn't go for BLIS or 360 camera.

On motorways and dual carriageways, I find the large door mirrors absolutely fine.

However, once you've had BLIS, I can imagine you wouldn't want to be without it.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I was concerned before i bought mine, probably read the same reviews. Since i've had it i've never thought about it or noticed it once!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21