Blind spots.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Sound track

Post by Sound track »

eugen61 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:31 pm
Gray1969 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am I have a MY2020 T4 RDesign AWD and the rear headrests are fixed and immobile.
I also suffered with the lack of rear visibility during my first test-drive, but I was lucky to be recommended the folding headrest option before ordering the car. Helps a lot, I use it all the time.
The one and only option I chose was the rear camera; helps a lot when reversing.

And it kept the car from over topping my self-imposed budget of £32K.

Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Wheaters55 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:41 pm Your right gray'69, at least it has trained me to use wing mirrors pretty much exclusively now. As skyrimmer says the wing mirrors are good.
Guess Im going to have to have more faith in the wing mirrors. my natural reaction is always to double check by looking over my shoulder before changing lanes, but the very large rear and centre pillars make that pointless really.

We have the headrest fold feature which i use every time there is no-one else in the back.

Really wish I had opted for the rear camera, most awkward vehicle I have owned for parking.
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
Sound track

Post by Sound track »

Gray1969 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:48 pm
Wheaters55 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:41 pm Your right gray'69, at least it has trained me to use wing mirrors pretty much exclusively now. As skyrimmer says the wing mirrors are good.
Guess Im going to have to have more faith in the wing mirrors. my natural reaction is always to double check by looking over my shoulder before changing lanes, but the very large rear and centre pillars make that pointless really.

We have the headrest fold feature which i use every time there is no-one else in the back.

Really wish I had opted for the rear camera, most awkward vehicle I have owned for parking.
The rear camera can be Volvo retrofitted by your dealer. Unfortunately it's quite expensive that way.

I thought long and hard after purchase and finally decided to have it retrofitted, about a month into my ownership.

I was initially quoted £1,000 but knocked it down to £800. Expensive I know but I'm keeping the car long term, if it lasts, so not too bad.

I tend to keep cars 9 or 10 years anyway, so it will even out, or so I keep telling myself 😀.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Gray, stick with I and you'll be reet. I have spent 20 years driving vans with a solid metal bulkhead at the back of the seats. You soon get used to reversing using just the door mirrors. I have the rear camera, but to be honest it's a distraction and I make a right bolocs of reversing if I try to use it! Does come in handy for hitching the caravan up though😊😊
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
dnyoung607

Post by dnyoung607 »

USA here. I have rear view camera as well as parking sensors. All are very helpful; no problems reversing at all.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

The wing mirrors are the best I've encountered for all-round visibility. I mainly use those for driving, and for reversing pretty much only use the camera - in fact I don't bother with the centre mirror at all when reversing. As such I don't care that my rear headrests can't be folded down.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Sound track

Post by Sound track »

Wing mirrors? I haven't seen those since the 70s 😀
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Gray1969 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:48 pm

If the rear view camera retrofit is an expense you don’t want, and I can absolutely understand why, have you considered having some third party parking sensors fitted? Or even the Volvo sensors?
These can be bought from eBay or Amazon reasonably cheaply. If you don’t want to tackle the job yourself, a local auto electrician could do it in about an hour. They could even, perhaps, source them for you.
I can fully appreciate that you would feel nervous without anything. 👍
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

I'm pretty sure that all xc40s have rear sensors fitted!
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm I'm pretty sure that all xc40s have rear sensors fitted!
Yes, all XC40s have rear sensors fitted, but these are activated while parking and putting the gearbox in reverse with the sensor range limited to 1m. It doesn’t help while driving and having rear view limitations through the mirrors.