Ready to buy...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi

Keen for a nearly new XC40 - after research I think set on R Design but not Pro as I don’t want bigger wheels or a sun roof - T4 as I’m edging away from Diesel - and T5 seem rare.. I drive short daily runs and rare long distance so economy isn’t of utmost most importance - although I don’t want an underpowered car either - Winter pack and Smart Phone.

Reading through the faults and fixes section is there anything I should be def checking on a car of say a year old...?

I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts

Thanks

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Before ordering my car I checked out a nearly new R-Design. I know you are not going for the sun roof but that's a common fault to be aware of. The car I looked at had a sunroof that juddered opening and closing, it was awful. The only other thing that comes to mind is the collision avoidance system. There were a few reports of mis aligned radar systems. Make sure the system is not set to late and take a test drive along parked cars with oncoming traffic.

Last tip - check it has the features they say. Mine was missing a couple of the features they assured me it had (power boot and keyless entry).
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Are you dead set on R Design?

Bit of a minefield with one year old cars as you have to wonder why their owners got rid of them. I can at least tell you that my 18 month old Inscription Pro was flawless from new & was screwed together beautifully. I've nothing to gain from recommending this.......just trying to do a forum member a favour......I only traded in as I was offered a too-good-to-refuse offer on a V60CC following a servicing cock-up.

Car had some cosmetic damage to nearside rear wheel arch (caught a tree stump helping out at a charity event) and, being silver, I'd advise you to look at this at all angles as it's such a hard colour to get right:

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/used- ... =B63%202YA

P.S: Smartphone integration was also added at 1st service + I let it go with sunglasses holder in place (but I nicked coat hook for my new car)
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

DarrenF wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:25 am Before ordering my car I checked out a nearly new R-Design. I know you are not going for the sun roof but that's a common fault to be aware of. The car I looked at had a sunroof that juddered opening and closing, it was awful. The only other thing that comes to mind is the collision avoidance system. There were a few reports of mis aligned radar systems. Make sure the system is not set to late and take a test drive along parked cars with oncoming traffic.

Last tip - check it has the features they say. Mine was missing a couple of the features they assured me it had (power boot and keyless entry).
Great thanks Darren - will check this
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Silver Moose wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:20 am Are you dead set on R Design?

Bit of a minefield with one year old cars as you have to wonder why their owners got rid of them. I can at least tell you that my 18 month old Inscription Pro was flawless from new & was screwed together beautifully. I've nothing to gain from recommending this.......just trying to do a forum member a favour......I only traded in as I was offered a too-good-to-refuse offer on a V60CC following a servicing cock-up.

Car had some cosmetic damage to nearside rear wheel arch (caught a tree stump helping out at a charity event) and, being silver, I'd advise you to look at this at all angles as it's such a hard colour to get right:

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/used- ... =B63%202YA

P.S: Smartphone integration was also added at 1st service + I let it go with sunglasses holder in place (but I nicked coat hook for my new car)
Hi - thanks for the feedback, I was keen on the look of the R for a bit of a change - how did you find the T4 engine - I’m coming down from a bigger Diesel engine and was a bit concerned the T4 will have enough power - I don’t need to drive anywhere fast but I’m used to the instant torque / power of the diesel..?
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

It's difficult to recommend engines as it's very personal and, as you say, depends on what you're changing from.

FWIW I thought the T4 was ideally suited to the car as anything more could easily overwhelm it - though, with the R Design's tighter chassis, maybe you could enjoy the full potential of the T5. My V60 has the B5 & it's certainly more urgent. I think you really have to test-drive to judge for yourself.

Oh, and as a quick P.S. for anyone looking at my old car, it has a 5 year service plan - that could save its new owner close on £1k
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera