Private plate switch over

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Adruddy

Post by Adruddy »

Hi, sorry if this has already been mentioned in previous chats but I was just after some advice.

This is the first time I’ve ever done this so it’s all a bit confusing.

I have used my car as part exchange and I want to take off the private plates before giving the car over and getting my new car. What’s the easiest way of doing this?

I know you have to put the plates on retention but how long before part exchanging would be best to do this? And will this have costs with the insurance company?

Any help would be great.
Cheers

ak888

Post by ak888 »

No need to put on retention - the dealer can do it for you. There is a fee payable to the DVLA for this. Just ask the dealer.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

The dealer will handle the plate transfer
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
PP1981

Post by PP1981 »

Yes I can vouch for this as they are doing mine too. Literally just drop off your V5 a week beforehand or sooner if you so wish and when you pick up your new car it’ll be ready with your private plate on. It’s £85 fee payable to the dealer as they’ll do it for you. Dealer even said it’s always strange have cars with the same number plate side by side. Got till the end of the month before I pick mine up by will try and get a side by side pic if possible.
XC40 T3 Auto R-Design Pro MY2021 Fusion Red with Versatility Pack, Climate Pack, Wireless Charging Pad, Electronic Child Locks, Sunglasses Holder, Genuine Folding Rear Metal Safety Guard and Mud Flaps..
Adruddy

Post by Adruddy »

Thanks for the replies, I have contacted the dealership on the back of them and due to the car being a lease i was advised to change the plates myself to the original plates ready for part exchange and after 5 days I need to contact the lease company (Santander).

If I need to change the plates myself I know I’ll have to pay the £80 fee and a possible admin fee with the insurance company.

Again thanks for the replies they have been really useful.
Deleted User 2967

Post by Deleted User 2967 »

Hadn't realised people still did this! Pay, and pay again, for what's essentially a serial number.

I wonder if I can get a personalised plate for my refrigerator 😀 ?
Norton

Post by Norton »

I wonder if I can get a personalised plate for my refrigerator 😀 ?
http://www.specialsuprises.co.uk/home/n ... dge-magnet :)
Deleted User 2967

Post by Deleted User 2967 »

Would this be an official change of serial number though? Would I have to re-register with Samsung Appliances so my fridge warranty was still valid 😀
caroluslinnaeus

Post by caroluslinnaeus »

For a new car, it's fine but if you want to buy a used car then you have to check a number plate check before purchasing. I have a web source that I experienced a very good detailing when i purchased a second-hand car ie., :D https://cardotcheck.co.uk/number-plate-check
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

That's to check the history of the second hand car your buying, not really relevant to swopping your OWN plates onto the car.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21