Servicing - a bit sketchy!!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hey I had our first 18000/1 year this morning. It was booked well in advance and was a while you wait appointment. The dealer (Doves, Croydon) took Covid very seriously. I was invited to wash my hands on entry and my temperature taken before dropping my key fob into a plastic bag - excellent and what’s needed during these troubles times.
The car was ready after about 2 hours as agreed. All good then. However, I don’t actually know whats been done. I got a 3 page printed health check printout but that’s it. The service book is very unhelpful too. No information on what has or hasn’t been changed. The service handbook only details on what date the service took place. With the car only completing 2850 to date, did they in fact change the oil? Your thoughts please.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I have the same dealership and got my 1 year service there 2 weeks ago. The Covid measures were indeed up to scratch. Their service is indeed pretty high up the rankings, at least based on other stories i've read here. But i was baffled that not even a printout received.

My fault, i got used to Mazda's online service book so forgot the Volvo one at home. They said they'll stamp it whenever i pop in again, and i assumed i'll get printouts then. I had a killing sinus infection so wasn't in the mood to linger around for papers. I'm pretty sure i remember seeing something about what is changed etc in the manual, but no time to check

Eh, no point in rushing it, their waiting area is small enough anyway

LE: Might be worth calling them and asking about the oil. I will when i pop in again for the stamp.
Under 3k miles a year (and assuming short trips) for you is even worse, so i HOPE they didn't try to save monies there and replaced it. Mine was still full in spite of driving some 8k miles, so can't say based on the digital meter
Des Posable

Post by Des Posable »

What did the excellent people at Doves tell you when you asked what you were waiting 2 hours for?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Des Posable wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm What did the excellent people at Doves tell you when you asked what you were waiting 2 hours for?
I actually didn’t think to ask what they’d done. I dropped the car off at took a walk to sample the delights of Croydon town centre and was on my way back when I received a call to say the car was ready. Being on a 5 year service plan, I may be cynical but people do cut corners to save a bit of money. As the car doesn’t have a dipstick, it’s not possible to check if the oil is clear.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

You should be provided with a comprehensive list of everything done, tyre depths etc. Oil and filter is always changed, as is a software update.
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

I also am due a 1st service soon. I've booked it in for early next week, having done just over 5,000 miles in the first year.

I was told it wasn't practical, due to the time it takes, to have a "while you wait service" as the service, with its software upgrades and all takes 3 to 4 hours. So I have a courtesy car for the day.

Following this thread I shall certainly talk to the staff and ask exactly what I've paid my money for.
Last edited by Weekly on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

ACertainAge wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:58 pm You should be provided with a comprehensive list of everything done, tyre depths etc. Oil and filter is always changed, as is a software update.
Well, I got a 3 page health check. It checks things but there is no mention of any parts replaced or changed. One good thing I noticed is the item circled. Ammo for next year when they insists it needs changing!!

image.jpg

F005D339-8773-4906-8DAD-F268E098AC0A.jpeg

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

*UPDATE*
So my next door neighbour is a mechanic, runs his own small garage. He just saw me looking under the bonnet (topped up the screen wash). I voiced my concerns about my service and weather any parts should have been changed. He said that with my mileage (only 2850 from new and given the quality of the oil installed in the car) he said that an oil change wouldn’t have been warranted in his opinion. I kind of get that. My main gripe is the lack of paperwork.
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

But no doubt you've paid for an oil change upfront in your service plan. So whether or not it needs it....

It should be done or money handed back.

I think I'd expect my screenwash to be topped up as part of the service.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I agree. I do very low mileage in my TT but still have an oil and filter change every year as that is the most important thing to have done. Had an argument with one service agent at one dealer who said it didn't need doing. I said I decide if it wants doing or not and I'm paying so took my business elsewhere.

Do more miles in the Volvo but the same principle applies.

I get more and more miffed with car manufacturers deciding what should be done with your car.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.