High Def Audio

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Lloyd_Xmas

Post by Lloyd_Xmas »

Hi all, this is my first post. Picking up the car this week and I’ve got a couple of questions regarding the audio output in the car. Does the car have a built in DAC? Presumably all inputs (USB and Bluetooth) send a digital signal to the car, which then converts it to an analogue signal itself. Is there an aux input anywhere? It doesn’t look like it from the manual but wanted to check. What quality of FLAC file can the car system handle? If I play masters tracks (MQA) from the TIDAL app, through Apple CarPlay, am I actually going to get the full 24bit/96Khz output from the phone or will it get reduced by the time it is output?

Trying to figure out how it all works and how I can get the best sound quality possible, any help or advice welcome.

Thanks

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Whilst I'm no expert - quite clearly the audio system(s) have to incorporate a DAC........there are, as you rightly presume, no analogue inputs.

As for the remainder of your question, I won't even attempt to address your concerns. If you're (over)thinking audio at this level, you've chosen the wrong car.

The XC40 is one of the cleverest car designs in decades.......it finds space where space shouldn't exist. Audio was never at the top of the design considerations I'm afraid.

HK is better than standard.......standard needs you to throw everything to the front (where speakers are reasonable quality) and to avoid the dreadful things they've stuck in the top of the rear doors.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Though I would add there is probably little quality control with the standard speakers. I can only tell you what I hear in my car which is that the rear door speakers are really muddy & sound blown. Another car maybe completely different.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Lloyd_Xmas

Post by Lloyd_Xmas »

Hi Silver Moose, I appreciate the reply. Not trying to overthink it and I’m very happy with the car choice 😁. I’m just trying to understand it as best I can and extract the maximum audio quality possible.