New car insurance

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

Hi, can anybody tell me how the new car insurance works. When you collect your new car, as I hope to, in the next couple of weeks, is it automatically registered with the complementary 5 days Volvo insurance, or do you have to apply fot it.
Thanks in advance.
XC40 RDesign D4.Thunder Grey Climate Pack Park Assist.Tempra Spare Wheel.

Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

My salesman did while I was in showroom
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

You can apply for it online but it's easier to let your dealer set it up on your behalf.

It's all very convenient, makes it easy for dealership to tax your car (they get direct access to documents) & it's very good cover.

However, it is a bit dearer and, by accepting the 5 day cover, you're leaving yourself open to some forceful marketing. I'd say go for it if you want quality cover & don't mind paying for it. Otherwise, press dealer for registration in good time, arrange your own cover, & email certificate to dealer a few days in advance.

I took Volvo insurance with my XC40 & the convenience was worth every penny - the quote for my new V60 was ridiculous, so I went elsewhere.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

My dealer was annoyingly pushy about the free drive-away insurance. I said I didn't want it - as I already organised it myself. They tried a few times to get me to take it, so I assume there is some commission involved.

The dealer no longer needs to get any insurance documents to tax the vehicle. I've bought a couple of bikes and a car in the last couple of years and in all cases, there was no need to provide proof of insurance.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi,
If you do ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

Thanks for the replies..
goi

Post by goi »

I guess these statements are belonging to UK, aren't they?

In Germany this is much easier:
When the dealer registers the car for you and get you a plate, it will be registered for tax and insurance at the same time. Precisely, to register you need an eVB Number from the insurance (which they automatically give in advance when you or the dealer on behalf of you asks for an insurance). Once the car is registered it is automatically insured until the insurance files the insurance documents and sends the invoice.
Therefor there is no need for a 5 day insurance here.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Yes, UK in my case.

There really shouldn't be an issue here as we've had M.I.B. (Motor Insurers Database) for a while now & dealer should have electronic access. However, there have been teething problems as some insurance companies stumbled with getting their systems fully compliant.

You can sometimes get better service in the UK if you wait until the car is registered before asking for quotes (in this case, the 5 day cover helps).........however, things are tending to work as they should now (you still hear of the occasional case of someone getting one of the very 1st examples of a new trim or engine choice struggling to get quotes but, these are the exception rather than the rule).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

Sorry, should have mentioned. UK.