A key question?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DrAdrian

Post by DrAdrian »

Sorry for the feeble pun.

New XC40 with 3 keys plus a skeleton key. We have the 'normal' black key with all the buttons, an orangey similar, and a slim jim jobby. The sales guy said the orange one had 'limited' functionality.

I have searched the manual without success thus far.

So I am sure inhabitants will be well versed in the following:

1. What are the limits of the orange key?
2. Does the 'Slim Jim' key support all the functions - (obviously without remote unlocking as there are no buttons) ?

Many thanks for kind advice.
Inscription b5 Auto.

Inspro

Post by Inspro »

The orange key is a 'care key' page 232 in the manual. I've been assured by the dealer its only function limit is yoy can set a speed limit. Others here have had other experiences with it. Volvo isn't exactly clear with the functionality. The slim key if you have keyless entry it will be a sports key that is waterproof a little more shockproof etc if not then I'm unsure which key you have.

I'm hoping to get a full underdstanding of the orange key when I pick up our XC40 tomorrow.
crtony1

Post by crtony1 »

Collected my new vehicle on Friday, same keys you describe were supplied. I was advised the slim key is for the glove box.
DrAdrian

Post by DrAdrian »

Thanks for kind, if somewhat confusing, advice so far!

P232 of the pdf manual is about the detachable key blade. Maybe you mean the paper one? I shall investigate. Item 2 - the slim jim key works everything as far as I can tell.

Onwards and upwards.

And I invested in a Faraday box for all the keys to prevent Burglar Bill from using a range extender to waltz off with the car. Recommend.
Inscription b5 Auto.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

crtony1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:57 am Collected my new vehicle on Friday, same keys you describe were supplied. I was advised the slim key is for the glove box.
No, the slim key is the sports key. Waterproof and sealed. I believe that batteries can’t even be changed.

BA1D826C-A897-461E-858B-741A8778F490.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
crtony1

Post by crtony1 »

Apologies for the confusion, I did not receive a slim key like the one pictured.
VolvoPhil

Post by VolvoPhil »

DrAdrian wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 am So I am sure inhabitants will be well versed in the following:

1. What are the limits of the orange key?
2. Does the 'Slim Jim' key support all the functions - (obviously without remote unlocking as there are no buttons) ?

Many thanks for kind advice.
The orange key is similar to the main key but a speed limit may be applied to it (useful if your children borrow the car, or if you want to leave that key at airport parking etc). That's kind of an extra feature. The "key" feature that is missing is that they key can not be assigned to a driver profile, so if you have memory seats, they will not automatically respond to that key. That means you only have one main key, so if you share the car, only one of you will benefit from the memory seats you paid extra for and the other user will have to manually press the button to adjust the seats.

Not sure about the other key, other than it's referred to as the "sports" key as it is waterproof. Great if you are a surfer/swimmer/beach goer and do not want to leave your key under the wheel arch like we used to do in the old days.
Volvo XC40 T3 Inscription Pro in Denim Blue (on order)
Jools

Post by Jools »

DrAdrian wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:40 am
And I invested in a Faraday box for all the keys to prevent Burglar Bill from using a range extender to waltz off with the car. Recommend.
I believe the keys have protection against relay attacks..... I think they have some motion detection in them, so if you leave them on the kitchen table, they goto sleep, so Burglar Bill won’t have much luck!
If they are in your pocket, and close to the car, they are “active”
goi

Post by goi »

Jools wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:29 am
DrAdrian wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:40 am
I believe the keys have protection against relay attacks..... I think they have some motion detection in them, so if you leave them on the kitchen table, they goto sleep, so Burglar Bill won’t have much luck!
If they are in your pocket, and close to the car, they are “active”
As far as I understand after a short interview with Volvo:
They are delivering (depending on the packs you've ordered):

1x "normal" Transponder-Key
1x "orange" Care-Key
1x Key-Tag

The Key-Tag has NO buttons and works like a NFC controller: Thus no further remote functions like remote window open/close, fan start, etc.

The "orange" Care-Key can be left in the car and is used by the driver i.e. when "sharing" the car via the App or sending it to the service. It can have a speed limit on it and in CANNOT be assigned to a driver's profile.

The "normal" Transponder Key has full functionality: You can remote open/close doors & windows & start the fans. You can assign a driver's profile to it. Usually the first key ge's profile #1.

If you need additional transponder keys assigned to a profile, you can additionally buy up to 9 additional keys (to a total of 10) which all can be assigned to a separate driver's profile.

The transponder key as well as the care key are going into "sleep" mode when not moved due to a motion sensor which turns them off when not moved.
All three type of keys will be disabled when left in the car and the car is closed / opened with another key.

I hope this helps.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

VolvoPhil wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 pm
The orange key is similar to the main key but a speed limit may be applied to it (useful if your children borrow the car, or if you want to leave that key at airport parking etc). That's kind of an extra feature. The "key" feature that is missing is that they key can not be assigned to a driver profile, so if you have memory seats, they will not automatically respond to that key. That means you only have one main key, so if you share the car, only one of you will benefit from the memory seats you paid extra for and the other user will have to manually press the button to adjust the seats.
OK so I thought "care" key needed a manual profile press on the sensus screen but just asked my wife who is using the care key and she said "I never have to press anything for the seats to change".

We are both at home today so I've had a play and she is correct. Open the car with the orange key and as soon as you open the door the seat starts moving to the correct position.

Seems to work exactly the same as my black master key.

The only obvious difference is there is no option to assign Driver Profile 2 to a key? But I guess as the care key is already permanently assigned to driver profile 2 as long as you set that profile up to your liking and save on the sensus screen it will apply those settings with the care key.