A key question?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
goi

Post by goi »

blisteringblue wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 am
VolvoPhil wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 pm
The orange key is similar to the main key but a speed limit may be applied to it (useful if your children borrow the car, or if you want to leave that key at airport parking etc). That's kind of an extra feature. The "key" feature that is missing is that they key can not be assigned to a driver profile, so if you have memory seats, they will not automatically respond to that key. That means you only have one main key, so if you share the car, only one of you will benefit from the memory seats you paid extra for and the other user will have to manually press the button to adjust the seats.
OK so I thought "care" key needed a manual profile press on the sensus screen but just asked my wife who is using the care key and she said "I never have to press anything for the seats to change".

We are both at home today so I've had a play and she is correct. Open the car with the orange key and as soon as you open the door the seat starts moving to the correct position.

Seems to work exactly the same as my black master key.

The only obvious difference is there is no option to assign Driver Profile 2 to a key? But I guess as the care key is already permanently assigned to driver profile 2 as long as you set that profile up to your liking and save on the sensus screen it will apply those settings with the care key.
I guess she is using the "Guest" Profile then? You might check in the Sensus Profile Configuration.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late

Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

goi wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:11 pm

I guess she is using the "Guest" Profile then? You might check in the Sensus Profile Configuration.
No just checked, orange care key automatically comes up as profile 2 on the sensus.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Probably my last post here as I have just changed my car but....

Agree with @blisteringblue in that care key is automatically assigned to a profile. I had an, erm, interesting time trying to store my settings on the way home with all 3 keys in my pocket.

Beware the sports key. Haven't read up yet but presume it works as a remote walk-up key??? Thought it would suit me perfectly for everyday use so asked dealer how much to replace when battery flat...........no longer available.....when it's gone it's gone!!! Thinking about it, this maybe a good thing. 'Normal' keys have taken a huge leap forward with their motion sensors.......maybe the sports key needs locking away in a RFID box or being introduced to Mr. Hammer???
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Silver Moose wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:10 pm Beware the sports key. Haven't read up yet but presume it works as a remote walk-up key??? Thought it would suit me perfectly for everyday use so asked dealer how much to replace when battery flat...........no longer available.....when it's gone it's gone!!! Thinking about it, this maybe a good thing. 'Normal' keys have taken a huge leap forward with their motion sensors.......maybe the sports key needs locking away in a RFID box or being introduced to Mr. Hammer???
Sports key is also motion sensor equipped, it doesn’t need RFID protection when not in use. For a car equipped with keyless entry function, the sports key has the exact same touch-free functions as the key fob. I use the sports key all the time, it saves space and weight in my pocket, I’m sad it’s no longer available to order when the battery dies out.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

The key issue is starting to annoy me now. Volvo are treating the customer as a necessary burden in their business model. Why isn’t the Sports key available anymore? For what reason? Maybe it’s a security thing or just a cost cutting exercise. What will they do away with next? When I purchased my 2020 RD, I expected everything to be as it was in the brochure. But no, the electric folding rear seats had been removed. In a few years time, the used car market will be flooded with incomplete Volvos. The prospective buyer will ask “why is there a hole above the rear door?” The seller will respond with “oh yeah, the coat hook broke but they are no longer available”.
As for me, when my sports key dies it won’t be such a great loss because it hasn’t seen the light of day since the day I picked up the car. But that’s absolutely not the point. I paid for a sports key and I want what I paid for.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 am
Silver Moose wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:10 pm Beware the sports key. Haven't read up yet but presume it works as a remote walk-up key??? Thought it would suit me perfectly for everyday use so asked dealer how much to replace when battery flat...........no longer available.....when it's gone it's gone!!! Thinking about it, this maybe a good thing. 'Normal' keys have taken a huge leap forward with their motion sensors.......maybe the sports key needs locking away in a RFID box or being introduced to Mr. Hammer???
Sports key is also motion sensor equipped, it doesn’t need RFID protection when not in use. For a car equipped with keyless entry function, the sports key has the exact same touch-free functions as the key fob. I use the sports key all the time, it saves space and weight in my pocket, I’m sad it’s no longer available to order when the battery dies out.
Wow! Thanks so much for that info. (hadn't got around to getting the hammer out).

I must admit, I hadn't read up on it & just assumed they'd stopped making it as a consequence of the changed security. I wonder why they have stopped then? Maybe they weren't selling many & maybe the motion sensor would have made it even more expensive??

Surely they could've given it a removable battery & still kept it waterproof.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

P.S: Just to clarify before I dissappear, when I say "no longer available" I mean no longer listed as an accessory.

I just received one with my 2021 V60CC, no idea how long this will continue for.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Take car @SilverMoose.
If you’re still here, what have you changed to?

On the subject of the key, I’ve spent over a week now back and forth to Volvo about this and their response is a resounding eff you mr customer. If you want two keys, bloody well buy one.
I even asked them to keep the useless (don’t) Care Key but give me two real keys. Still no.
I’m sure/hope that Volvo will U Turn on this as it’s providing equipment in the car in driver profiles that the key cannot access. Not unlike buying two cups, but one doesn’t have a bottom. Yes it looks like a cup and yes it has a handle but not much use. However it’s useless for me as my car gets here next week.
Apparently MY22’s will have three normal wheels and a space saver. 😐🤷🏻‍♂️
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020