MY21 T4 and T5 R-design availability

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
fsgwns

Post by fsgwns »

Hi all,

I read that the T4 and T5 drive trains will be replaced by the B4 and B5 mild hybrids from MY21.

Is this true for the R-design trim as well?

Is this true worldwide or only for EU?

I just ordered a T4 R-design in Malaysia and the dealer couldn't confirm if the car will be a mild hybrid or not.

Thanks.

goi

Post by goi »

As I learned, the factory at Gentt usually changes production somewhat at week 46. If your car has a production week past 46 i guess it will be a B5 otherwise a T5 except there are still enough cars on the ship that matches your order configuration.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
fsgwns

Post by fsgwns »

Thank you.

I was told my car will arrive in Oct/Nov, so i don't suppose that would be a car manufactured after week 46 (assuming the weeks are being counted from the start of the calendar year).

But the dealer insists that I'll get an MY21 model. Are T4 R-design and T5 R-design still in the line up for MY21 or will they be fully replaced by the B4s and B5s?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The UK MY21 engine line up is on Volvo's website..Is something similar available in Malaysia?

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-m ... irect=true
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
DWB

Post by DWB »

I am in a similar situation.

AFAIK, MY21 actually refers to the specs that have been in use for most of 2020, I.E. the T3, T4 & T5 engines. So if your dealer insisted you are getting a MY21, that means its from the current range of specs/builds, which includes the various T# pure petrol/non hybrid engines. There will be a MY22 respec announced towards the end of this year and perhaps we will see the T engines gone from certain markets.

My own dealer said the MY22 spec will add on about €500 to the equivalent MY21 offerings, so I would guess at least in my market, the T#/pure petrol options will remain available as in respect of the MY21 options, a mild hybrid engine seems to be about + €2200 to the price over the pure petrol option.

Just on the mild hybrids, i'd be curious to know what people think of them? While the notion of having 'hybrid' in the name of a car might afford the owner some sense of future proofing, for the extra €2200~, it doesn't seem to have anything other than a very negligible impact on mileage or emissions - going by Volvo's own data.

Would i take it for the same asking price? Absolutely, but I'm not sure why I would choose to pay €2200~ for it.

Again, this is just musing about the mild Hybrid option as distinct from the PHEV.
T3 R Design Pro Fusion Red with Sunroof, Parking Assist & Power Seats.

Due August 21
goi

Post by goi »

I've ordered a MY21 XC40 T5 Inscription in Germany. Which is the PHEV.
If I wanted to order the petrol one, I would need to order the B5 as mild-hybrid.
since 2023: XC40 Pure Electric Twin Motor Ultimate MY24
since 2020: Mirai II Fuel Cell, MY21
2020-2023 XC40 Recharge Inscription (Pro) T5 (132+60 kW), MY21 late
DWB

Post by DWB »

goi wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:03 pm I've ordered a MY21 XC40 T5 Inscription in Germany. Which is the PHEV.
If I wanted to order the petrol one, I would need to order the B5 as mild-hybrid.
The T# identification is used across both pure petrol and PHEV options. So you can have a T5 pure petrol or the twin engine option comprised of T5 pure
Petrol engine AND the Plug In motor. The T3 is only available as a pure petrol, it’s not sold as part of the Twin Engine lineups. The B# engines are mild hybrid only and never part of Twin Engine models.
T3 R Design Pro Fusion Red with Sunroof, Parking Assist & Power Seats.

Due August 21