Heated windscreen - am I missing something?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I've always hated the idea of heated windscreens due to possible refractions but, ended up with one on my Inscription Pro without speccing an extra pack.

Have to say, it doesn't distract at all but.....have only used it in 2 scenarios:

1) Whilst using eco mode on a cold & damp day. Eco turns down air con to barely on & a quick blast of heated windscreen can help. (Though you could just switch drive modes instead).

2) Returning to car at 3 a.m. in airport car park after 3 weeks. ( Car goes to sleep after x days & remote start unavailable. This will probably be fixed by a future software update as car CAN be woken up, as currently happens if you send a sleeping car a navigation location).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Hi, I’ve a inscription Pro with the electric front screen. The car was frozen up this morning. I thought this is a good test for the volvo app on my phone.
I was disappointed that the screen didn’t clear at all, although it is defiantly ticked to auto defrost. The blowers weren’t on either. The car had been running for 10 minutes at this point, still frozen up. Steering wheel/seat heat & rear screen worked. Is the electric screen meant to come on via the app if under 10 deg ? Am I doing something wrong? As I say, the front screen auto defrost is set to on & it works manually. Thanks for any advice....
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

I think you may have all the functions you need when the car was last switched off then the remote next start everything as before.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Mark123 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:06 pm Hi, I’ve a inscription Pro with the electric front screen. The car was frozen up this morning. I thought this is a good test for the volvo app on my phone.
I was disappointed that the screen didn’t clear at all, although it is defiantly ticked to auto defrost. The blowers weren’t on either. The car had been running for 10 minutes at this point, still frozen up. Steering wheel/seat heat & rear screen worked. Is the electric screen meant to come on via the app if under 10 deg ? Am I doing something wrong? As I say, the front screen auto defrost is set to on & it works manually. Thanks for any advice....
The heated screen was on in my remote start this morning (as well as the rear screen and seats). By the time I did the remote start, the frost had already gone naturally. However, last year around this time, I remote started WITH a frosty windscreen. It didn’t make a dent as far as I can remember. This was due, in most part, by the screen going off too quickly. The blower incidentally, doesn’t blow until the cars cooling system has warmed up a bit. The car screens, back and front, need to stay on for longer periods of time. Also, my rear window defroster isn’t the worlds best. I wonder if Volvo has dumbed down the power. Designers of products these days are constrained as to what they can do. A bit like the Hoover that doesn’t pick up or the bath cleaners that no longer cleans the bath🙁
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've found it better to put the remote start on but for a relatively short period and then restart it after it has gone off. This then puts the heated windscreen on again
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:26 pm I've found it better to put the remote start on but for a relatively short period and then restart it after it has gone off. This then puts the heated windscreen on again
👏👏 Ah, up there for thinking ⬆️ and down there for dancing ⬇️
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

After the last software update, my driver profile linked to my key became locked. As soon as engine was turned off, changes I made in the climate settings were not saved and I couldn’t understand why my automatic heating setting was not working.

Make sure your driver profile is unlocked. Open climate view in the centre display by pressing the symbol in the middle of the climate row. Press Electric Heated windscreen to activate and the button illuminates. Now activate automatic start of heated windscreen: Press Settings in the top view in the centre display. Press Climate. Select Auto Front Defroster to activate automatic start of heated windscreen.

Keep also in mind that during remote start the engine is running only at 800 rpm. On a freezing morning it will take more than 10 min for the engine to generate enough heat so that the blower can turn on.