Collision warning or autobrake activation etc?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

I reckon it's the telegraph pole that triggers it. \\\I've had a couple of incidents similar to this on bends where there's an apparent obstruction until you turn the steering wheel a bit further. You could prove this by straddling the hatching - that bit further out from the verge - and it isn't illegal, by the way, because the white lines on either side are broken and not solid.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC

charles_M

Post by charles_M »

This happened to me quite often, I mentioned it at some software recall and they apparently mostly fixed it by "reducing the sensitivity"

It still happens now and again - seems to be when, for example - a parked car is directly ahead which you fully intend to avoid by means of a sharp turning manoeuvre when an oncoming car has passed.

In your case, as someone has commented, the telegraph pole could be the culprit.
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

jamie307 - why do you choose to straighten the bend and straddle the two lines in the middle of the road.
What difference would it make if there was a message as to what triggered ?
The first time it happened to me I got a fright and thought the brakes had developed a fault.
But one gets used to it and it's very reassuring that it works.
However I do not go out of my way to test it, just like I do not try to test the airbags.
Perhaps it's not the car that's lacking messages, but the driver ,?
Deta

Post by Deta »

The OP has a choice, so do you. Perhaps make the choice not to be rude.
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

What's the OP ?
Not being rude, just sensible !
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

malkyxc40 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 pm What's the OP ?
Not being rude, just sensible !
OP - original poster.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

jamie307 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:18 am This has happened to me only twice, but in the same place, so I am interested in analysing it a bit.

It's a an audible alert and a red symbol on the dash, with some braking and steering intervention. But the warnings are so brief and there is no persistent message, so I am left unsure as to which systems are activating (Oncoming Lane Mitigation, Run-off Road Mitigation, Run-off Road Protection, Front Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake etc). Is there a log kept of this accessible via an OBD device?

It happens here:

Capture.JPG

Normally I straighten the corner by crossing both centre white lines, however if I attempt to keep within the lane this needs some quicker steering inputs and it presumably thinks I am about to crash into the house and the systems activate.
So, following on. I never realised this till late last week but I’m still having intermittent issues. I swear that I put the setting to late but then there it was still on normal. So I changed the setting to late again. Then upon switch on, it was back to normal. I hadn’t saved it to my profile🙄
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

The collision avoidance system on my car kicks in when ever I go past a certain traffic island with cars parks closed before and after the island. I know the car is seeing the parked car when I turn in and reacts. If I slow down a lot before the island it is usually fine.

Some of the previous issues I have read on here where the system goes off for no reason some where fixed by the radar being re-calibrated.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Huttyhut11

Post by Huttyhut11 »

The wife nearly flipped when this activated for the first time.I have disabled it.
Wish I could permanently disable the stop start!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

When on a trip a few weeks ago the Collision Avoidance activated even though it was turned off. I was catching a van that was turning left and as the back end came out I went onto the hatching slightly. No drama or excess speed just normal driving for a human! And no it wasn't the lane warning just vibrating. Red light on dash and brakes applied momentarily.

Annoying if off doesn't mean off!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.