Collision warning or autobrake activation etc?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

This has happened to me only twice, but in the same place, so I am interested in analysing it a bit.

It's a an audible alert and a red symbol on the dash, with some braking and steering intervention. But the warnings are so brief and there is no persistent message, so I am left unsure as to which systems are activating (Oncoming Lane Mitigation, Run-off Road Mitigation, Run-off Road Protection, Front Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake etc). Is there a log kept of this accessible via an OBD device?

It happens here:

Capture.JPG

Normally I straighten the corner by crossing both centre white lines, however if I attempt to keep within the lane this needs some quicker steering inputs and it presumably thinks I am about to crash into the house and the systems activate.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Does it still activate if you take the bend a little slower? If you have need to “straighten the corner” then maybe your speed is a little to high?😉
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Unfortunately I don't go this route often so can't experiment as I would like, but I suppose there are a number of things I might do to avoid activation, such as slowing down or by starting to steer earlier.

I'd really like to know what systems are activating though. A way to view recent messages would be a good start.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

jamie307 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:43 am Unfortunately I don't go this route often so can't experiment as I would like, but I suppose there are a number of things I might do to avoid activation, such as slowing down or by starting to steer earlier.

I'd really like to know what systems are activating though. A way to view recent messages would be a good start.
Yes, it would be nice if the voc app was a bit more informative. The VAG group app is much better and records actual route, Speed, lateral g forces, engine power Etc. I’ve used both apps and the VAG one is much better in my opinion.

As for what’s triggering your warning system, I would hope (but have no evidence to support this) that the system will take into consideration such things as speed, g-forces, engine load etc. and use those in conjunction with the camera to determine if a warning is necessary. I wonder if it does this with a percentage of comfort in mind rather than just safety?
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I too have this intermittent issue. I’ve turned my setting to late but appears to do it, like yours, on a gradual right hand bend. The alarm and the red car symbol activate and the brake pulses. Don’t think there is a steering input though. You could ‘take one for the team’ and drive the road again at ever increasing speeds to narrow it down. All in the name of testing 😂
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

I reckon it's that big A120 splodge on the road triggering the system 😆

But more likely it's that granny annexe or ex-garage which is pretty close to the verge, and more likely to be the collision avoidance system than anything else.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
YoVolvo

Post by YoVolvo »

If you're crossing both centre white lines you're driving on the wrong side of the road.

Perhaps Volvo have a warning system for that.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Dermottdog wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:03 am I too have this intermittent issue. I’ve turned my setting to late but appears to do it, like yours, on a gradual right hand bend. The alarm and the red car symbol activate and the brake pulses. Don’t think there is a steering input though. You could ‘take one for the team’ and drive the road again at ever increasing speeds to narrow it down. All in the name of testing 😂
72 dudes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:24 am I reckon it's that big A120 splodge on the road triggering the system 😆

But more likely it's that granny annexe or ex-garage which is pretty close to the verge, and more likely to be the collision avoidance system than anything else.
I don't really want to change the setting, as it might reduce the usefulness of the system when it's actually needed. I figure these things are here to stay so I may as well adjust my driving to accommodate their foibles.

I'm not sure if there was steering input, it felt more like selective braking of certain wheels but I'm not sure.

Surely it's not too much to ask that some kind of message should persist long enough to read it, detailing what was activated? There was a red car symbol and something or other but it was gone in a couple of seconds.

The manual mentions "Steering assistance upon risk of run-off" which also mentions brake intervention, and then "Steering assistance upon risk of head-on collision" doesn't. Apparently both of these give the message "collision avoidance - automatic intervention". Then we have all the City Safety functions with warnings, "brake support" and "auto brake". In this case the manual just mentions that the systems displays a text message, but doesn't say what the message is.

I'd like to know whether it would have still activated if the building hadn't been there i.e. was it just anticipating a run-off? What if the building had been a telegraph poll or a cow?
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I still smile when I think back to the video of the system being tested The guy stood in the way and put all his faith in the system. His faith was badly misplaced. The car broke his legs I think as it carried on coming.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I posted about mine doing the same at random times and asked if anyone else had an issue, no one replied :D
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras