Collision warning or autobrake activation etc?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Huttyhut11 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:42 pm The wife nearly flipped when this activated for the first time.I have disabled it.
Wish I could permanently disable the stop start!
Easy to disable the stop start, just don’t do any long journeys😉
Mine hasn’t worked since March this year when we went into lockdown. Auxiliary battery is flat and needs a good long run (150+ miles at motorway speeds) to recharge sufficiently. One exception was a trip up to Whitby, 162miles, stop/start worked for the next trip (20miles), hasn’t worked again since.

Car was serviced a couple of weeks ago and raised the issue with the dealer. They tested the battery and declared it was fine, just not doing enough miles and a common problem for many since lockdown. They gave me a 3-sheet A4 doc to read listing reasons why stop/start might not work. It listed things such as high humidity, low humidity, high temp, low temp, short journeys, too many traffic lights, town driving etc etc. Surprised it’s ever worked, seems to be a bit of a “Goldilocks” system 🤣
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I would like to be able to switch this off and have it stay off, but it springs back to life when the car is restarted. It decided to brake heavily for me a couple of days ago when I was passing a line of parked cars and a car approached from the opposite direction. There was plenty of room for us to pass safely, but Collision Avoidance decided to slam on the brakes and sound the alarm. I would also like to be able to switch off Stop/Start and have it stay off.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I just have the two icons at the top of the screen and as part of my starting procedure turn them off.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

Had the same over the last 2 days, not in the same place but going over a pothole repair change in tarmac surface and colour.. Car judders slows a little and warning red symbol comes up on dash.... Is this normal ...
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Sounds like the traction control is kicking in because you've gone over something slippery. Is the icon a car with zigzag lines behind it?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I'm going to end with neck injuries from the number of times my MY24 B3 slams on the brakes when I'm reversing - slowly - up my driveway. It seems to think plants in my garden or the neighbour's are going to leap out behind me and jams on the brakes. There is a good half metre either side of the car. This has become a real pain (literally and metaphorically). There seems to be no option to reduce the sensitivity of the system.

Volvo, if you're reading these posts, there is too much intervention by the car's systems!
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:05 am Sounds like the traction control is kicking in because you've gone over something slippery. Is the icon a car with zigzag lines behind it?
Doubt its traction control - wouldn't the system have to detect wheel-slip to activate? Wonder if the radar it interpreting the differing shades of new/ old tarmac as an obstacle?
poleposition

Post by poleposition »

RonFleet wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:37 am I'm going to end with neck injuries from the number of times my MY24 B3 slams on the brakes when I'm reversing - slowly - up my driveway. It seems to think plants in my garden or the neighbour's are going to leap out behind me and jams on the brakes. There is a good half metre either side of the car. This has become a real pain (literally and metaphorically). There seems to be no option to reduce the sensitivity of the system.

Volvo, if you're reading these posts, there is too much intervention by the car's systems!
I have the same issue reversing out my driveway. The system slammed on the brakes so hard I though I had hit something, and I did hurt my neck.

The service department said there is no option to make the autobrake less sensitive. You can turn it off before you start to reverse, but that is not ideal.

Agree there is too much intervention at times, and often for no good reason.
XC40 MY23 B4P Plus AWD 7 Speed Auto AAOS
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Had similar issue a few years back trying to board EuroTunnel, where they want you as close to the car in front as possible - car repeatedly applied the brakes as tying to creep forward. Gave up in the end much to upset of their steward.....
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:05 am Sounds like the traction control is kicking in because you've gone over something slippery. Is the icon a car with zigzag lines behind it?
Had the same happen today same place I was on the white line , directly opposite a junction with a car waiting to come out… he was sat just a little over the stop line … so I assume it’s the collision avoidance didn’t check the symbol lol