Interior creaks and rattles

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I have two annoying noises.

The first is a creaking sound. I've now managed to track this down - it's where the centre tunnel plastic rubs against the bottom of the dash:

Image1.jpg

Quite simply if I shove my finger in that gap while driving the creaking stops. I've tried thinking about what I can wedge in there to make a solution that doesn't look bad but haven't come up with anything yet. I must be careful because I've discovered that anything pushed in there can disappear behind the dash! Has anyone else noticed this noise?

The second is a rattling somewhere behind the steering wheel. Only present sometimes and hard to fiddle about pressing trim in that area while driving. I suspect it's something inaccessible though. :|

I won't be going to the dealer just for this so will have to wait until the first service.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I have a creak and a rattle too. The rattle I think is coming from the small plastic storage area on the glove box side (right hand drive car) that is removable and hides plugs and stuff. The creak comes from the drivers seat area where the seatbelt plugs in. It happens when cornering. Neither are that pronounced. It’s a mass produced car and not hand built. Yes, it cost £40k and should be perfect but it’s a year old now and if that’s all that goes wrong with it, I’m fine with that. I do understand how things can irritate though.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
YoVolvo

Post by YoVolvo »

jamie307 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:10 am I have two annoying noises.

The first is a creaking sound. I've now managed to track this down - it's where the centre tunnel plastic rubs against the bottom of the dash:

Image1.jpg

Quite simply if I shove my finger in that gap while driving the creaking stops. I've tried thinking about what I can wedge in there to make a solution that doesn't look bad but haven't come up with anything yet. I must be careful because I've discovered that anything pushed in there can disappear behind the dash! Has anyone else noticed this noise?

The second is a rattling somewhere behind the steering wheel. Only present sometimes and hard to fiddle about pressing trim in that area while driving. I suspect it's something inaccessible though. :|

I won't be going to the dealer just for this so will have to wait until the first service.
I have the first noise you mentioned, the creaking noise.

I also toyed with shoving something in there. What worked for me was a forceful horizontal strike with the heel of my hand on the console below, the one that's below your red arrow.

It hasn't made the noise since - a few weeks ago.
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

I get constant noise from the passenger seat, bless Her!
R-Design T4AWD Auto Fusion Red
YoVolvo

Post by YoVolvo »

Oh no, it's the 70's all over again.

My mother-in-law said...
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Never had a single creak from anywhere in mine.

Useful solution to creaks, if you don't mind the smell - I love it, is a teeny spray of GT85.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

My driver seat was creaking, but spraying WD40 on the screws holding the seat rail solved the problem. As Silver Moos is saying, try with a drop of GT85 or WD40, it won’t do any harm and actually could prove an easy fix.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I’m not experiencing any rattles at the moment but while out shopping today I noticed this in a stationery store.

F42CD79E-A7F0-4220-BB2A-A5E97CA821A2.jpeg

It’s sold as a pencil eraser block, dark grey, 75x28x18mm. It’s quite firm an could be easily cut with a scalpel/Stanley into small wedge shapes to use as packing to stop creaks between panels. Only cost a quid so I thought I’d get one just in case...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
LIPSTER

Post by LIPSTER »

Hi you could try the dense foam that comes from computer packing.
It's excellent for stopping creaks just cut it and push it in.
Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

I have the creak. When I brake or accelerate with any sort of force it presents itself.

I did also have another big rattle coming from under the central speaker in the dash. This seems to have just stopped of its own accord. It had been in the garage about it and they found nothing - yet it still did it after the visit.

The creak maybe only started after the car was maybe 6months old.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!