USB Cable for front USB ports

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

Boomer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:24 pm I went for one of these (but in black)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072127KCY/ ... _lig_dp_it

Figured that 1ft should be more than enough in that front tunnel section. Time will tell if that is correct but if not I've a back up plan for that cable and will buy another.

Also with lots of plugging/unplugging went for a cable that should have some life to it.
I went for one of these too. If you have an iPhone X with the Apple leather case then the lightning plug on this cable is a fraction too long and just lifts the phone ever so slightly, so you may be better off with the angled plug, or at least one with a slightly shorter plug.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Where and in what position do you have your phone?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

Sat on the charge pad, face up, pushed forward. The cable coming out of the plug then sits slightly on the trim in front of the charge pad. It puts a very slight strain on the cable which wants to stay straight, and the lightning plug which wants to stay square in the phone. It's very slight indeed and will probably sit down in time as the cable gives a little.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Thanks. Is it/would it be stable sideways and still fit? I can't remember what the width was like. I don't have an apple case but one which is quite bulky. I am assuming wireless charging isn't needed/functioning as phone would charge through the USB?
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

You're right in that wireless charging isn't needed because it will charge through the cable. It isn't wide enough to sit sideways but would sit diagonally if your OCD will allow.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Haha - OCD would not permit this! Will need to have a think about this once my car arrives
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Boomer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:24 pm I went for one of these (but in black)

Figured that 1ft should be more than enough in that front tunnel section. Time will tell if that is correct but if not I've a back up plan for that cable and will buy another.

Also with lots of plugging/unplugging went for a cable that should have some life to it.
I can confirm that this cable works fine.

The length is going to be a personal thing. 1ft give a little bit of capacity to move the phone, whilst still connected to the USB port, closer to the user. I personally wouldn't go shorter as finding I am hunched over the centre console when needing to use the phone's screen. A 3ft one gets the phone to normal user position but then there is 3 ft of cable to have to manage and stuff back in the centre storage area.