Dash cam cameras for the XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

AlexK, any chance you might be able to put up a picture of your current(assuming it is still current) XC90 set up? Certainly would help (me) visualise this. I have in my mind that with the XC40 we have much less space available cf the XC90 but I might be misremembering.

EDIT: That 360 degree view on the main XC40 website page I think really illustrates what the visibility issue is going to be. pjm007 (if you are tracking this thread) you've got one in the flesh now on a regular basis is that what you are seeing?

[That's really weird - I thought I had posted that the roadhawks are the Volvo approved ones that are fitted by dealers - I've had a few posts "disappear" like that now.]
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Unfortunately, the XC90 was a press car, so is long gone I'm afraid.

Had a quick look at the 360s and, to be honest, both car's sensor packs look equally chunky as hell to me.

I usually place a cam immediately to the left of the sensor pack and as close to the top of the screen as I can get it. Certainly would have been largely invisible to me, and pretty difficult for even the most jobsworth copper to argue over (have you seen where most cop cars have their ANPR cameras located - much worse!). A sensitive passenger might complain, but I don't remember anyone having a problem with it.

The Roadhawk is certainly the smallest I've used/tested; smaller units might exist, it just happens to be a unit I've used and been impressed by.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Thanks Alex - good to hear.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Boomer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm
pjm007 (if you are tracking this thread) you've got one in the flesh now on a regular basis is that what you are seeing?
Yes - it looks exactly like the 360 degree pano Boomer. It's a big chunk of plastic. I just popped out to try to take a couple of pics but I can't capture it any better than the website.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
andygou

Post by andygou »

Has anyone who has already taken delivery of an XC40 come up with a way of hard wiring a camera yet? If so, how have you done it?
Thanks
T5 FE Bursting Blue, 19" wheels, no headlamp cleaning. Ordered 24 February, arrived at dealer 25 April, delivered 30 April.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm007 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 pm
Boomer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm
pjm007 (if you are tracking this thread) you've got one in the flesh now on a regular basis is that what you are seeing?
Yes - it looks exactly like the 360 degree pano Boomer. It's a big chunk of plastic. I just popped out to try to take a couple of pics but I can't capture it any better than the website.
Thanks
dhcmanx

Post by dhcmanx »

I’ve been looking into all the different dash cams available as I think they’re becoming more and more necessary. The most advanced one to date will be available in the UK in the next month or so. It’s the Blackvue DR900S - 2ch.......the first 4K dash cam. It uses a more advanced compression system in view of the large amount of data to be stored on the memory card. With the 4K and fast frame rate you can zoom in and read number plates that are often impossible to read. The only downside will be the price I suspect. Worth looking at YouTube to see a demo.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Always interesting to hear about the first. I had thought nextbase were claiming that title last year with their 612GW, but admittedly is isn’t 2ch. The BlackVue looks a nice unit but expensive?
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Only BlackVue unit I’ve tested is the DR650;
its nighttime performance I would describe as ‘unusable’. I would want to see actual footage (ie not provided by BlackVue) before opting for one, especially - as you rightly say - they’re not cheap.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
dhcmanx

Post by dhcmanx »

The DR750 has much better night time performance than the DR650......good independent comparison video on YouTube.