Dash cam cameras for the XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mukesh

Post by Mukesh »

Hi all ,
Just wondering now that members are looking around to purchase accessories for their prized XC40 's , any thoughts regarding protection and Dash- cams ?
I was looking at dual ( 2 Channel ) camera systems and in particular the Blackvue DR750S-2CH, which has very good reviews but is pricey at around £400 with a reasonable 64G storage card .
Any suggestions for alternate brands or types from experienced users would help ?
XC40. T5. FE. Bright silver / lava interior / 20 inch alloys. Delivered 13th April .

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Mukesh, I've parked this just for the moment but I was looking at the nextbase camera's about 4-5 months ago.. They were just on the verge of issuing a 2 camera system over/around Christmas time (it has been delayed and delayed). Looked good value - they often have 20% off deals.

Now the other issue is where to put it. I'm sure I read that there were some scare stories that you can't put it too close to the radar unit - interference and all that -but not sure how real that is.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
senwar

Post by senwar »

I bought myself a Nextbase 412gw a few weeks ago. Decided as I'm going back to my own car (from a company one) I'd get one.

However, given the size of the central panel and mirror, I'm not sure it will actually look right or even go where I'd like it to, so may not use it in the end.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can't understand why, with more and more vehicles coming already fitted with all round cameras, the manufacturers don't use the existing cameras to record what's happing front and back. :?:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
senwar

Post by senwar »

Bob wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:54 pm I can't understand why, with more and more vehicles coming already fitted with all round cameras, the manufacturers don't use the existing cameras to record what's happing front and back. :?:
Same. The kit is already there really isn’t it!
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Mukesh

Post by Mukesh »

Lets see what members suggest and as Boomer suggested , where would you put the cameras , ? The positioning would be a problem .
XC40. T5. FE. Bright silver / lava interior / 20 inch alloys. Delivered 13th April .
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Just to add on the positioning, I specifically had a look at this when viewing in the showrooms etc. Even if you could place the main camera next/close to the radar/mirror unit (passenger side) this then blocks full operation of the passengers sun visor. That radar console is exceedingly large and so are losing lots of screen real estate for placing a dash cam. Once you factor in that you can't place the camera in the wiper blade sweep area (more or less) there's little space left to find it a home. Wonder what people are doing in the XC60/90's?

I want to spend to some real time with the car to assess viewing angles etc and so whether a dashcam is possible. It might need a complete rethink to one of those very small units (perhaps under the centre mirror console?

Also for those that want to hard wire the dashcam in the most likely fuse box is under the passenger seat (there is one in the engine bay as well) and from what I could see is a bit of a pig to get too!
Last edited by Boomer on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

RoadHawk Vision is much smaller than the BlackVue and I imagine would tuck behind the rear-view mirror without trouble.

Doesn't have the 'cloud' features or too many bells and whistles, but does offer decent quality.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

AlexK wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:58 pm RoadHawk Vision is much smaller than the BlackVue and I imagine would tuck behind the rear-view mirror without trouble.
The problem though is that you now can't get anything "behind" the rear-view mirror as that space is occupied by a stonking big piece of plastic (and the radar/sensors etc).

You might(?) be able to get something attached under the central radar itself (a very small micro unit) but it may be that is just too much windscreen space taken up and therefore illegal.

https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/articles/pro ... ng-the-law
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

I can't immediately remember what the XC40 arrangement looks like, but I've had a RoadHawk on an XC90 without any problem. I don't recall it even being visible to the driver, but would have been much more obvious to the passenger.

Nice little snippet from the above link: "For the same reasons, we are an authorised accessory for Volvo Cars UK."
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.