Dash cam cameras for the XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
stevieboysteve

Post by stevieboysteve »

Well I saw this thread a couple of weeks ago and thought I might ask Volvo where we should fit dash cams, and whether they would interfere with any of the safety systems. What did they say?

"Volvo do not support the fitment of any dash cams to our cars. There is a possibility that these cameras can interfere with the vehicles active safety systems and so we will not accept responsibility for any issues on cars with these cameras fitted.

Your comments have been noted here in Customer Relations however as it stands, we recommend that no items are fitted to the inside of the windscreen on your car and if you do decide to fit a camera, it is of your own volition despite our recommendations.

We will not offer any support in the matter of dash cam fitment on our cars."

Very insensitive answer in my opinion. I had already explained to them that a) people will fit them regardless, b) many insurance companies offer discounts if you have a dash cam fitted, and c) the police often ask for dash cam footage to provide evidence of accidents. I also suggested the fix would be to enable the on-car cameras - I'd happily pay a reasonable amount for that.

So there you are - Volvo aren't interested in giving a definitive answer on dash cams. I've been running mine just to the right of the central console/radar area (passenger side) and it seems to be working fine. I also have not noticed any affect on the radar, cruise, lane assist and all the other safety goodies seem unaffected.

Awesome car - shame about the dealers and the manufacturer!
T5 First Edition Crystal White Lava Orange - gorgeous :D

MichelR

Post by MichelR »

I have read some reports that the Citysafety did a auto break due to interference of dashcam without any reason.
And that there are problem with adaptive cruisecontrol.

If you want to place dashcam I would place it not near the sensor array..
Especially with the answer that you got from Volvo.
Ordered a XC40 T4 R-Design in Bursting Blue.. Supposed to get he car in mid May but delayed. Will be build on 10th of September
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

I can only speak from experience, had my dashcam fitted now a few weeks and not seen or experienced any sign of interference or problems with any onboard safety systems. Dealer said they had no issues with me fitting one either.
T5 First edition Crystal White
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Just a standard get-out disclaimer I feel. Unless of course Volvo are stating that they are not confident in the design and robustness of their safety systems...

I guess they would say the same if you asked them if it's OK to wear jeans if you have the blonde leather upholstery ;0)
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

MPS 1 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm http://blackvue.co.uk/index.php/online- ... led-detail

Now available to pre-order but pricey, however probably one of the best dash cams on the market. Installation packages will also be available next week.
With install now available. Too rich for me!

http://blackvue.co.uk/index.php/compone ... l?Itemid=0
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
xc40fun

Post by xc40fun »

Argh! The megapixel wars entering the dashcam market with 4k cameras. So more pixels in the same sensor size, so more noisy images in low light conditions.

I'm waiting for one that automagically uploads to my NAS when it detects my home network. Don't care much for cloudiness nonsense.
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 4WD [190] | Bright Silver with Lava interior | 19" wheels | Ordered 12/02/18 - ETA 10/04/18 - Arrived 13/04/18
Hilly

Post by Hilly »

Volvo recommend RoadHawk dash cam so had one fitted by the dealer when I purchased my XC40T5 RDesign. Two RoadHawk’s later they are now saying they don’t recommend fitting a dashcam due to the possibility of the radar causing the dashcam to not function and received a similar response to the one above. The dealer is going to refund me and remove the wiring so looks as if no Volvo user can fit a dashcam. Anyone experienced similar issues
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

According to the user manual, there’s an area on the windshield that should be kept free from any obstruction for the Intelisafe system to work properly (see picture below). I have not found in the user manual any other restrictions related to dash cams.

6C274BC1-527E-47D7-89C6-37DDEF66E431.jpeg

rafaborges

Post by rafaborges »

xc40fun wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 pm I'm waiting for one that automagically uploads to my NAS when it detects my home network. Don't care much for cloudiness nonsense.
I do this and it's actually really simple if you have the right hardware. I have a Synology NAS, Unifi network stack and a NUC running my Hassio home automation system.

When the cam connects to the wifi, hassio detects and triggers a simple script that opens the camera shared folder and move the new files to a NAS share that I have. It's not a daschcam (it's my DSLR)), but the idea is the same for any sort of wifi enabled external storage.
Hilly

Post by Hilly »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:44 am According to the user manual, there’s an area on the windshield that should be kept free from any obstruction for the Intelisafe system to work properly (see picture below). I have not found in the user manual any other restrictions related to dash cams.
Have made contact with RoadHawk and waiting a reply to see if they have had any feedback from customers re safety systems fitted to vehicles