Is sunroof trouble free?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Hi

For many years I have tended to avoid sunroofs after a nasty experience with one that rattled, leaked, stole all of the car’s headroom and then jammed in the open position.

I’m just deciding on specification for a 2021 model year XC 40.

We had previously specified a 2020 model which is being replaced after a number of problems in its first 6 weeks

We absolutely love the 360° parking camera, but for 2021 it is crazily only possible to get this as part of the lounge pack, which includes a sunroof.

Do you folk with sunroofs find them quiet, waterproof, and reliable?

Also, apart from that, do you actually like the changed ambience in the car with all of that light and air?

I’m really grateful for your comments.

Pete
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I stayed away from the sunroof for the same reasons as you. There are multiple complaints on this topic about rattling noise and water leaks, do a quick keyword search on the forum home page. But bear in mind that as time goes by, Volvo is correcting the problems, so there’s a good chance for your 2021 model not to have the defects discussed in older postings.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I have a sunroof in my ex-demo T3. I would not have specified one on a new car but have to say it has not caused me any problems. With the sun shade closed you almost do not realise its there.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

I have the sunroof and love it. Having read the comments about leakages, I too was concerned but so far (600 miles) no leaks (I've driven the car under heavy rain and even hail, which I had the misfortune of experiencing for 10 minutes the day after I took delivery of the car), no rattles. The car is admirably quiet even at motorway speeds. Lets lots of light inside, without really getting too hot even under direct summer sun. The shade works well and automatically closes if it's really hot outside (if left open when parked of course). It's also a real joy to open it on mountain/country roads and get fresh air inside without having to open the windows. So, no regrets.
Bazza

Post by Bazza »

We test drove a car without the sunroof and found it quite dark inside so looked for one with a sunroof. Nice to have the choice of screen open or shut and it does close itself if left in direct sunlight.
No leaks so far.
R-Design T4AWD Auto Fusion Red
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I was concerned as well as I had a Mercedes which are famous for the rattle, however no problems with Volvo sunroof
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’ve got the sunroof which has caused no problems at all in the two and a half years that I’ve had the car.

The auto closing blind works well and I’ve had no rattles or leaks despite experiencing numerous heavy downpours and extremes of temperature.

Having the sunroof certainly lightens up the interior when the blind is open. The closed blind works well as a sunblock when necessary.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Thanks all. We now have the replacement XC40- it’s been a long time since we ordered the first one in Nov 2019.

The sunroof is fine but I could take it or leave it. The bit of the lounge pack that we’re delighted with is the upgraded HiFi- it sounds so much better than the standard sound system in the previous car.
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.
Deleted User 3074

Post by Deleted User 3074 »

I've been driving cars since 1979 and the only cars I've ever had issue with have been the ones with sunroofs. The issues have always been about the sunroofs; leaks, noise, rust on occasions. Just my experience, not very scientific, but my XC40 is sunroofless 😀.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Take That wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:48 pm I've been driving cars since 1979 and the only cars I've ever had issue with have been the ones with sunroofs. The issues have always been about the sunroofs; leaks, noise, rust on occasions. Just my experience, not very scientific, but my XC40 is sunroofless 😀.
You don’t want electric windows......more to go wrong comes to mine!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras