iPhone functionality without CarPlay?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DWB

Post by DWB »

Hi Folks,

About to make a deposit on a T3 Manual R-Design Pro. I’ve added a few extras and am more or less at my budget ceiling.

The only item I’d potentially be interested in that’s not included in my build/budget is CarPlay.

I don’t fully understand the limitation of iPhone functionality without CarPlay. For example, in my current car, which does not have CarPlay, I can connect my iPhone to the car via usb cable and can listen through the car audio system to any audio app I choose,, be that Audible Audiobooks, Spotify or the slightly niche Pocket Casts podcast app. In short, my current car cares not what app I use but simply recieves the audio output from my phone via usb and plays it via the car speakers.

If I do not choose to add the CarPlay system, will I retain the same functionality outlined above?
T3 R Design Pro Fusion Red with Sunroof, Parking Assist & Power Seats.

Due August 21

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Apple CarPlay mirrors not only audio, but also visual app content to the entertainment system screen so you don’t have to look at your iPhone and touch its screen while driving. It also provides full Siri integration (long press on steering wheel voice command button). Therefore, it offers a safer driving experience.

Without Apple CarPlay, you can use bluetooth to transfer audio (music, podcasts, audiobooks) from your iPhone to the entertainment system in similar fashion as described in your post. You can also read incoming SMS on the entertainment screen, make and receive calls.

Unfortunately, Volvo is not offering wireless CarPlay. For me it’s a hassle to plug in a cable in my iPhone every time I get behind the wheel, so I use CarPlay only when I need eyes on Waze map. Otherwise, 90% of the time, my phone sits in my pocket bluetooth connected (connects automatically when I turn the engine on) and I play my music or listen to Waze navigation commands through the car speakers.

That being said, I would still recommend you to order CarPlay, you seam to be used plugging in your iPhone in the car all the time. Every year Apple brings new functionalities to CarPlay (software updates are made though the iPhone) and the user interface on the entertainment system screen is fantastic. Finally, it’s so much safer and legally required not to hold, look and touch your phone while driving, CarPlay was developed exactly for that purpose.
Last edited by eugen61 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I thought about CarPlay but didn’t bother in the end because you have to plug the phone in. I have wireless charger and if I want to use phone for audio I use car voice control to connect then tell Siri to play what I want (on iPhone)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
DWB

Post by DWB »

Thanks to both of you, that’s is all very helpful, I understand the functionality much better.

Cheers.
T3 R Design Pro Fusion Red with Sunroof, Parking Assist & Power Seats.

Due August 21
Deleted User 2786

Post by Deleted User 2786 »

(still waiting on my XC40 to arrive - ordered mid Feb) I'd been using the native bluetooth/wireless charging capability of my current car for about year and couldn't really see the point in CarPlay as the native capability was so good... then I started using CarPlay because I found the music browsing a little easier and then for navigation and then Siri integration and now, for the last two years, I've used CarPlay exclusively - the Apple Maps integration has got us through some extraordinarily remote parts Europe and the Alps, with ease.

I'm currently a little uncertain of CarPlay's value in the XC40 as the native navigation promises a load of additional clever stuff under the hood that might make it nicer to use than Apple Maps. Else, CarPlay's Siri integration, message management, Skype fB and phone calling, and music, podcasts and audiobooks make CarPlay a 'nice to have' at the very least. Oh and the additional USB socket that comes with the option is also useful for charging your passenger's phone at the same time.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I had it in my Tiguan ad couldn't get on with it. It messed up my phone calls. Hence didn't specify it in my XC40.
I plug my iPhone in (and hence charge it as well) and can then play what I want - music or usually podcasts from the screen without having to look at or touch iPhone. I am sure you can do more with Carplay but I haven't missed it at all.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Salmonfisher wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:24 pm I had it in my Tiguan ad couldn't get on with it. It messed up my phone calls. Hence didn't specify it in my XC40.
I plug my iPhone in (and hence charge it as well) and can then play what I want - music or usually podcasts from the screen without having to look at or touch iPhone. I am sure you can do more with Carplay but I haven't missed it at all.
Likewise we also had CarPlay in our old Tiguan and on buying the XC40 my wife decided she didn't need it, so opted out. Cue 12 months down the road and we have had it retrofitted - what she really missed was being able to easily respond to iMessage / WhatsApp by voice.
RichieRich

Post by RichieRich »

Why does Volvo not fit CarPlay as standard like most of other manufacturers? If you want it, it's a £300 option. Ridiculous. Earlier this year BMW had to bow to customer pressure and make CarPlay a standard fitment. I'm considering an XC40 (if the 1.5 goes back on Motability in October—bit of disability discrimination on Volvo's part by taking it off!) but CarPlay could be a deal-breaker.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

RichieRich wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:30 pm Why does Volvo not fit CarPlay as standard like most of other manufacturers? If you want it, it's a £300 option. Ridiculous. Earlier this year BMW had to bow to customer pressure and make CarPlay a standard fitment. I'm considering an XC40 (if the 1.5 goes back on Motability in October—bit of disability discrimination on Volvo's part by taking it off!) but CarPlay could be a deal-breaker.

You’d really forego a great car for the sake of a £300 addition?.....wow!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
RichieRich

Post by RichieRich »

There are others just as good!