WARNING: TwinEngine possible fault

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

T5 Twin-engine Inscription, one week old. Wife reported a high pitch sound while driving on the motorway yesterday. She was on electric.
I'm gonna drive it and see if I hear the same.
I'm not sure if you guys identified a particular situation when that's most likely to happen.
Eddie - Black / Amber xc40 T5 Inscription Hybrid plug-in - Innovation and Audio & Lounge Pack - Ordered 22-06-20 - Collected 23-09-20.

Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

lfpcorreia wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:31 pm It might be possible that it’s not how many total miles we have on the clock.

Probably this happens depending on how many miles we did using the gas engine. Maybe even the regime is relevant (city vs highways)
16% Electric
84% Fuel

1150 miles now
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

blisteringblue wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 pm
lfpcorreia wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:31 pm It might be possible that it’s not how many total miles we have on the clock.

Probably this happens depending on how many miles we did using the gas engine. Maybe even the regime is relevant (city vs highways)
16% Electric
84% Fuel

1150 miles now
How do you keep track so precisely?
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

lfpcorreia wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 pm
How do you keep track so precisely?
Volvo On Call app tells you with a nice graph, only had car a week so all in the 7 day chart.

Think there is a 3 month average shown too
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

@xc40_2020: This issue is purely an electric drive issue. I see other in this thread talking about pertrol engine oil. I must say that my pertrol engine oil is perfectly OK. The real issue was that the hyberdized tranmission which is really integrated with the electric engine had a catastrophic failure. The high pitch sound of the electric engine gradually increased in a period of perhaps 20-30 days, untill eventually the whole hyberdized transmission + electric engine failed completely. (see my video for the sound). The car would only move in Performance Drive Mode at that stage.

If you have a feelin that the high-pitch sound is increasing, it might be a suggestion to let the dealer open the bottom engine cover and have a look to see if they can identify any oil leaks from the hyberdized transmission + electric engine case.
XC40 T5 Twin Engine R-Design | Fusion Red | FEB 2020 Delivery
Full options except Keyless Entry, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, Gear Shift Pads on Steering Wheel
xc40_2020

Post by xc40_2020 »

Rocket wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 pm @xc40_2020: This issue is purely an electric drive issue. I see other in this thread talking about pertrol engine oil. I must say that my pertrol engine oil is perfectly OK. The real issue was that the hyberdized tranmission which is really integrated with the electric engine had a catastrophic failure. The high pitch sound of the electric engine gradually increased in a period of perhaps 20-30 days, untill eventually the whole hyberdized transmission + electric engine failed completely. (see my video for the sound). The car would only move in Performance Drive Mode at that stage.

If you have a feelin that the high-pitch sound is increasing, it might be a suggestion to let the dealer open the bottom engine cover and have a look to see if they can identify any oil leaks from the hyberdized transmission + electric engine case.
Thank you Rocket. I didn't hear anything yet while I drive it myself. I'll keep an ear out.
Eddie - Black / Amber xc40 T5 Inscription Hybrid plug-in - Innovation and Audio & Lounge Pack - Ordered 22-06-20 - Collected 23-09-20.