T3 manual - real world MPG

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
VolvoPhil

Post by VolvoPhil »

Hi Folks,

I've ordered a T3 manual Inscription Pro and am a bit nervous about the real world MPG I'm likely to get, having moved from an efficient diesel car. My daily commute is around 12 miles on clear A roads so I normally potter along at around 50mph with little traffic/town driving. I drive conservatively for economy, so would expect to achieve towards the top end of what's possible. What MPG am I likely to see?

Hope I'm not going to regret ditching the oil burner. Ideally I would have preferred the D3, but the numbers just didn't seem to stack up for us given the relatively low mileage we do.
Volvo XC40 T3 Inscription Pro in Denim Blue (on order)

lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Expect higher than expected :)

I've tried the T3 before going for the T5 Twin Engine. Almost bought it. But after going through some estimations I ended up going for the hybrid. So far I'm super glad I did cuz I barely use the combustion engine. As such, after 4/5 years I'll break even (T3 vs T5 price). In the meanwhile I'm enjoying the extra power ;) (262 hp vs 163 hp). When test driving the T3 I ran through what I'd normally do every day. T3 did 11,5l/100km whereas my previous Diesel did 6.5l/100km. The salesperson promised it would drop to around 9l/100km. Also genuinely told me not to go Diesel cuz of the particulate filter problems given my daily comute.

Also consider that the D3 (or any volvo Diesel engine) will start dumping the unburnt "tar" from the particulate filter onto the oil. Making the maintenance interval grow shorter than the regular 1 year intervals. This happens when daily short trips is all you do (mainly city driving). Maybe in your case this won't be needed.

According to the user manual, in this scenarios you should do constant 50 mph for 15-20 mins for every refilling you do. Note that any Diesel engine should require this. Volvo just decided to share this with us in the manual.

Either way enjoy the car! It's a great machine all around!
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I'd be surprised if you got less than 40mpg
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Ours has averaged 37mpg over the last 8000 miles in my wife's careful hands (😄), I find i can get better when I drive it.
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

Hi,

I have had a T3 automatic for almost a year now. In my experience it depends a lot on congestion. So my drive to work (it's 12km) if it's congested (30-40mins) then it would be 9-10l/100km. If not congested (20-25 mins) then it'd be 7.5-8.5l/100km.
The sweet spot seems to be either on speeds of 70-80 km where it'd be at 6.3-6.5l/100km and in highway where 110-130 km where it'd be of 7-7.4l/100km.

I would have liked the Hybrid, but it wasn't around when I made the order (summer last year) and for us in Denmark it would have been 100,000 DKK more (roughly 11,500-12,000 GBP more)

Also in my experience changing from comfort to ECO doesn't do much difference, it all depends on how congested it is and I'm rather heavy on the pedal but haven't noticed too much difference when I'm being more soft. It's all about how fast trafic is moving. where Ideal conditions approximate 6.5 and bad conditions approximate 10.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

After 14 months of use Volvo on call is showing 42.1 average mpg for my manual T3. I have seen the instant mpg show as much as 52 mpg on a motorway cruise. I dont do a lot of town driving however.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Footh

Post by Footh »

After 14 months and just over 10,000 miles my T3 r-design pro manual is telling me 40.9 mpg. I reckon I was getting 43mpg on a 50 mile round trip commute prior to lockdown on A and B roads. Mostly comfort mode, some eco.
I don't regret moving from diesel and I had also considered the D3 as my mileage was a lot higher when I ordered. Very very pleased with the manual T3.
T3 R Design Pro (manual), Crystal White, spare wheel, android auto
VolvoPhil

Post by VolvoPhil »

Thanks everyone for the input.

I can't remember what figures I used when I did a back of an envelope calculation, I think I assumed around 42mpg for the petrol and compared that to an assumed 50mpg for the diesel, and for our mileage and price difference on the leasing scheme, they came out almost identical over a 3 year lease so I didn't see the point paying out up front for the diesel with no guarantee of any overall saving. Our last car was same price for petrol/diesel so the diesel was a no brainer. If this were a purchase we were going to keep for 5 or more years then I'd have gone for the D3.

So if I tootle along at 50mph on my daily commute, I'm hoping I might be able to squeeze 45mpg out of her whilst enjoying the leisurely drive. I was amazed on our test drive at the ride, coming from an estate with sporty/firm suspension, where potholes seemed to vanish into thin air. We were driving around aiming for the potholes and looking at each other - did you feel that one - No, me neither! :D
Volvo XC40 T3 Inscription Pro in Denim Blue (on order)