Navigation issue

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Noccc

Post by Noccc »

I was wondering if I share my iPhone hotspot with the car, can I use the navigation through the internet rather than GPS? Does the driver display also show the navigation map?

My other question is... in case my car doesn’t have the GPS navigation. What’s the best way to use navigation and Spotify? Apple car play? Or share WiFi hotspot with the car?

Thank you in advance

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Can’t be sure what happens on a car without GPS, and I can only comment on an Apple phone not a Droid, but on mine if you only tether the car to your phone (ie use the phone’s hotspot), or use Bluetooth, any navigation you do with the phone (Maps app) doesn’t project through to the car at all.

You need to use Apple CarPlay (connecting the phone to the car with USB cable) to view the phone’s Maps app & it’s navigation on the central console. It does not display in the Driver Console.

The Spotify app works with or without Apple CarPlay.

If anyone else has tried any other combinations I would be interested in hearing what works with what. It’s all rather complicated!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
early adopter

Post by early adopter »

I'm very pleased with the sat nav so far, but it does make me smile when it pronounces the "A" for A-roads as "a" for apple. "Take second exit on to the a38" . Anyone else noticed.
Mogbat975

Post by Mogbat975 »

Anyone know if the Navy includes Europe maps?
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Mogbat975 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:22 pm Anyone know if the Navy includes Europe maps?

Well the Navy might (sorry!), but the Navi does also. The available country options are listed on the Downloads screen on the central console. However, my dealer's service manager advised me not to try to download any other country maps, I presume for the moment. He didn't say why but I guess it might mess up the UK map?
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

The navigation system is the same as the XC60 and 90. They have full Europe maps which is about 40 GB . Map updates seem to be appearing about every month. You can just download the uk and Iceland maps which come together and are usually about 2 GB or go for the whole of the Europe update which as I said is about 40 GB. I have tried both on my XC60 and funnily enough they seem to take about the same time to download from the usb stick to the car, about 45 mins. Obviously the full Europe map will take longer to download to your PC/ USB but I prefer it as it seems to give you more info on the centre screen about how much it has downloaded. If you just want to install the uk/ Iceland update then this can be done over the air using the cars SIM or tethered phone if you have one as it’s only 2GB.
Noccc

Post by Noccc »

Can the in-built navigation system be used only by the internet thethered by my phone (not by GPS)?
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

The inbuilt system uses GPS not data. You can get live traffic data to the maps and this uses a data connection. Live traffic data is better than TMC traffic data which uses Classic FM to provide info. When you use the live data you also become part of the data gathering fraternity and this provides more accurate info re problems on the road.
ijkgenesis

Post by ijkgenesis »

Why do you always need to cancel navigation when arrive. Else car starts to recalculate route when next start up..even if a few days later ?
XC40 FE D4 Burstin Blue with 20 inch Wheels

XC60 T8 Ultimate ordered Sept 2023