Options you wish you hadn't bothered with

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

For me it's the 360 camera. It only provides a view a few feet behind. If I try and reverse using the 360 it doesn't feel safe without spending most of the time looking in the mirrors and out the back window, so it ends up being a distraction. So if I'm reversing I always switch to the rear camera. Likewise if manoeuvring forward the front camera is more useful. Also the side cameras don't have enough resolution to see if your wheels are a centimetre away from kerb if if you're about to go over some debris in the gutter, so I always use my side mirrors for this purpose.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’m afraid to say that I disagree with you. I’ve had the car well over two years and find the 360 camera extremely useful.
However I don’t just rely on the one screen. I switch between the various cameras as required. If you need greater resolution then use the zoom button.
The camera is not a substitute for proper observations, it’s just a very good assistant.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Perfectly put PC40.... I completely agree with your observations.
Bob

Post by Bob »

jamie307 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 am For me it's the 360 camera. It only provides a view a few feet behind. If I try and reverse using the 360 it doesn't feel safe without spending most of the time looking in the mirrors and out the back window, so it ends up being a distraction. So if I'm reversing I always switch to the rear camera. Likewise if manoeuvring forward the front camera is more useful. Also the side cameras don't have enough resolution to see if your wheels are a centimetre away from kerb if if you're about to go over some debris in the gutter, so I always use my side mirrors for this purpose.

Whereas I like the 360 degree camera, and my wife likes it even more so. It is not something I would have specified, but it came as standard on the First Edition vehicles, I would certainly consider specifying it on future vehicles.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
isvicthere

Post by isvicthere »

It's a shame the poor quality plastic everywhere isn't an option. I'd have chosen not to have that 😀