Current XC40 would you purchase again

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Unlikely we'd buy another XC40 as my wife gets quickly bored with cars but maybe consider an XC60.
I would have taken another Tiguan over our XC40 but as our previous car was a Tiguan, SWMBO insisted on something different.

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Suppose it depends on what sort of spec level you're looking at - wouldn't (am not going to) buy an XC40 Inscription Pro again as mine is shortly going to be replaced by a V60 CC.

Would have bought the V60 originally but they were diesel only at the time. My inscription Pro is ALMOST a luxury car except for 2nd rate (in Volvo terms) Pilot Assist, BLIS, & headlamps. The clever use of interior space, whilst impressive, also robs you of any chance of decent audio.

I still think the XC40 is a hugely impressive car in the lower specs, it's just making less sense (as prices increase but costs are cut) in the higher trim levels.

P.S: Still think the furore over keys is over the top - not a huge % of owners share the driving with a spouse, and I'm sure some owners will prefer the fact that they can restrict the speed when allowing their child(ren) to borrow the car. Tesla don't give you even one key fob unless you pay for it.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Ks2

Post by Ks2 »

@Silver Moose - what is wrong with the Pilot Assist, BLIS & headlamps out of interest ?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Silver Moose wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:12 pm My inscription Pro is ALMOST a luxury car except for 2nd rate (in Volvo terms) Pilot Assist, BLIS, & headlamps.
According to the stringent IIHS testing (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety), XC40 scores among the best cars, including for driver assist and headlights: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/vo ... r-suv/2019

Indeed the standard headlights score low, might be that your car is missing the bending light option. Is there other testing data you could share related to “2nd rate” Pilot Assist and BLIS, I might have missed something.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Ks2 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:26 am @Silver Moose - what is wrong with the Pilot Assist, BLIS & headlamps out of interest ?
Please don't get me wrong, never said there was anything wrong with them - Pilot Assist gives Mercedes a run for its money.

Just that Volvo doesn't give you the best it can offer on the XC40:

Pilot Assist - There is a next level with more powerful chip & link into nav such that ACC slows for bends

BLIS - Light only, no audible warning or steering correction

Headlamps - No AST. Not a big deal for everyone but I do a lot of wee small hours driving & it would help me a lot, especially on unlit motorways.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Silver Moose wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:12 pm Suppose it depends on what sort of spec level you're looking at - wouldn't (am not going to) buy an XC40 Inscription Pro again as mine is shortly going to be replaced by a V60 CC.
I'd be very interested how you get on with that and how it compares. I almost went for a V60 CC too but it was slightly over my budget. If they'd had a T4 version I might have gone for it.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
isvicthere

Post by isvicthere »

I tend to buy new and keep 8 to 10 years. Had my T4 about 12 months now, I doubt the XC40 will be around when I buy again.

I'll probably go for an Apple iCar 2 in rose gold, or Google Sparky AWD in barely black.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I’m not sure I’d want another, given the culling of the specs.
And I haven’t even got mine yet!
BMW, Audi and Mercedes are all upgrading their cars but Volvo are taking bits off!
I’m planned to take delivery in September but I think it’s fair to say that I was mis-sold mine as I talked to the sales guy at length about how I liked the exhausts, embossing, etc. He said nothing about any of the deletions. And OneKeyGate is just........pffft, ridiculous.
That said, it’s the ride comfort that sold it to me. It’s so comfortable compared to the others.
I really want the XC40. But I want the car I test drove a couple of times and absolutely loved, not the ‘no frills’ version.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
isvicthere

Post by isvicthere »

I think the one key would be an issue for me. But holes in the bumper and plastic lettering, naah. I hadn't noticed these were even on my MY2020 RDesign until I started to read this forum.

I've recently waxed my car and the embossing is just a place for the wax to hide, and the holes in the bumper are a pain to clean - pity they aren't real exhaust ends rather than just holes.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

isvicthere wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:58 am I tend to buy new and keep 8 to 10 years. Had my T4 about 12 months now, I doubt the XC40 will be around when I buy again.

I'll probably go for an Apple iCar 2 in rose gold, or Google Sparky AWD in barely black.
I reckon you'll be better off with the Sparky, which you'll be able to use on all roads. The iCar 2 will only function on approved roads, and barely function at all after a couple of annual software updates.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19