Current XC40 would you purchase again

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
aj05

Post by aj05 »

I have a year old inscription pro T5 Thunder Grey/ red Leather specified with most extras. I ask this question because Volvo seem to be going in a have what we want to give you not what you want direction which is making other manufacturers models more attractive.
colour range reduced / restricted combination of colour/ interior choice
removal of trim and model identification ( not much of problem)
electrical folding rear seats / headrests removed
close and lock button on rear hatch door removed
only one proper key fob on a luxury car ???
The major gripe is the way the packs are now sold why if I want all round camera or enhanced music system am I forced to buy a glass roof which i do not want etc etc. This may be great for Volvos profits but gives the customer no way of specifying the car they want.
I went through the current price list and specified a new car as near as possible to my current model the price was over 45K I paid just over 40K
I like Volvo cars I have driven them for over 30yrs but I think they are going to lose customers if they continue to reduce client choice and increase prices by stealth ( reducing the specification of cars) they now have a lot more competition since the launch of the the XC40 wowed every one
I dont think the way cars are sold at the moment I would purchase another XC40

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I totally agree with you. I really like my current XC40 but I will not pay more to get less on a newer one. I will be looking around at something else in few years time.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I love my XC40 R Design D4. However I would be put off a new one with the current reduction is specs. Two killers for me would be the lack of the close and lock button on boot (I use it several times a day and the key often doesn't work on boot) and only one key (crazy).
However the final straw is doing away with diesel. Would have considered a hybrid but only a proper 4 wheel drive with off road capability (my current XC40 is fine in muddy fields) so Volvo's hybrid is out and mpg on petrol versions is hopeless with the distances I drive. So back to either an Audi or VW both of which I have had before and liked but was tempted by the XC40 and would have stayed if Volvo hadn't shot themselves in foot.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I think I've said on here before that although I think my XC40 is a great car it will unlikely be my next car because of the specification changes and being forced to buy the lounge pack to get 360 cameras. Although I'm not looking to change for a year or two I think it is most likely to be a LR discoport.. Possibly phev.
Also post brexit I'd want to support UK assembly.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Bob

Post by Bob »

Due to the changes in Specs I may go back to Audi when I change in about 2 years.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Trouble is many manufacturers are doing it. After many VW Group cars on the trot I came to Volvo because I could get what I wanted whereas with Audi/VW/Skoda I couldn't and not helped with the problems with their 1.5 petrol engine.

And now Volvo are going the same way in forcing you to have things that you don't want to get what you do want. Well, more than they were already doing.

Certainly with Skoda it was the UK importers who decided on what customers "wanted" as quite often other countries had different specifications available which might be what you want but you can't have! As said more about maximizing profits rather than giving customers real choice.

Hopefully I'm not forced to look elsewhere again when I come to change. A few years yet so will enjoy the XC40 in the meantime.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

I also agree. I wouldn’t want to spend 4K for accessing a 1k feature (360 camera for example)

I guess all manufacturers must be jealous that Tesla can get rid off with just 1 or 2 options and still sell a lot.

There’s a shift happening on the whole buying/owning a car experience.

Thing is, when buying a Tesla you’re already with a price expectation in mind. When buying a Volvo and GIVEN THE CHOICE of trims/extras you expect to be able to specifically customize the whole car.

Whereas Tesla does it to streamline production, Volvo is doing it to profit from it (I guess)..

PS: Only one car key? No way!! No light on the rear seats? If it was a Dacia.. maybe!
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

No I wouldn’t buy another XC40 in its current spec.
My first addition has all the bells and whistles included and scraped in just under £40k new. To get close to the same spec again would be > £45k and with all due respect the XC40 is not worth that sort of cash.
After 18mths of driving it I’ve still not “bonded” with it some how. Can’t put my finger an anything in particular that’s preventing me doing that. Hate the candles that Volvo have put in the reversing light, love the 360deg camera but useless in darkness.
I came to the XC40 from a Skoda Superb L&K. I loved everything about that car but when the time came to change it Skoda were having problems with engine supply which meant I couldn’t get the configuration I wanted. It had all the gadgets the XC40 has ( had great fun upsetting the Volvo salesman, every time he showed me an exciting gadget on the XC40, with the exception of the 360 cam, I explained that the Superb already had it as standard ). Since then the Superb has had a facelift and looks even better. I see it now has the 360deg camera as an option and there is now a usb-c port built into the high level binnacle on the windscreen to use for dashcam power. Simply Clever!

I have 2yrs remaining on the PCP so no rush to change. Who knows, maybe I’ll bond with the XC40 and hang to it for a while but the Skoda is getting very tempting...
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Not sure I would. But this car is a keeper, paid for. Plus I have a 5 year Service plan and an extra years warranty. We will see what the state of the EV market is in 6 or so years time. They don’t really appeal to me right now but it’s gonna happen.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

I bought my XC40 9 months ago.

Although its a very nice car, I just find it a bit too perfunctory for my liking.

So, I'm giving the XC40 to my wife (to replace her 3 year old Ibiza) and I am taking a new 70 plate Ford Focus ST on September 1st.

I'm not convinced I'll miss the XC40, but at least it's still in the family should I need a more relaxing drive :)
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel