Dash cam

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Donaldo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 am Thanks for that. All a Volvo told me was they do not suggest using a dash cam at all. Will search for the diagram you mention. Very helpful thanks.
Here you go

17E5D351-8395-4B63-9D05-597180C6ED84.jpeg

Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks that is the area to avoid
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I've taken note of the warnings and relocated my dashcam to the bottom corner of the windscreen (where the tax disc used to be!). This is well away from the IntelliSafe cluster and so far as I can judge it should not impair the airbag function. I've routed the lead between the dashboard assembly and the main body structure where it will tuck in well with the aid of black electrical tape, then under the glove box and out to the 12v socket. All quite neat. The camera works well in this position and is within the wiper sweep area. This morning, the IntelliSafe alerted me to a cyclist about to cross in front of me at speed from the right, so that is some confirmation that all is well! Does this seem a reasonable solution?

Dashcam location.jpg

Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Very helpful thanks very much
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

For those yet to attach it, Morozov Automotive has made some great youtube videos for Toyotas' RAV4 and are starting to do it on the XC40 as well.

Saw this the other day and it might be of use for those who are looking to do it themselves. Certainly gonna be useful to me when I'll install my cam.

charles_M

Post by charles_M »

Odd, that video puts the dash cam right where Volvo say you shouldn't put it.

Also, I used the boot 12V supply. Due to Sensus Navigation limitations, on occasion I use the front 12V supply for my TomTom SatNav.

In case your'e wondering, on the web based TomTom app, you can easily plan routes, name POI's etc. Sensus is OK for point to point navigation, but I don't use it when I want to go a specific route or store POI's.
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

All very helpful thanks people.
davehwt

Post by davehwt »

Fitted Vantrue N4 cam system with GPS on middle top of passenger side windscreen no effect on intellisafe system.
Unit cannot be seen from drivers side without leaning across. Unit has 3 cameras front, back and internal.
Have not hard wired but unit plugged into 12 volt socket.
Ample cable supplied and rear camera very very small yet 1080p and supplied with adhesive pad.
Cables ran in easily behind the trim including to rear camera all works great.
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks for that.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I'm having a Nextbase 622GW and a Nextbase Wired Rear Window Cam installed on Friday (at the local Halfords). I talked to the their resident expert about how it would be installed. He was aware that the Intellisafe gubbinses needed to be steered clear of and that the rear camera can interfere with the DAB reception, so they will fit ferrite cores on the camera's cable to prevent this. He seemed to know what he's doing. I know I could probably buy the cameras cheaper elsewhere and maybe get them installed for less, but this reduces the hassle and there's one company to kick should it not work properly. Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue