Dash cam

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

New to the forum, so apologies if asked and answered before. Collected our XC40 in July after a 3 month delay due to the virus. It is a Motability vehicle for my wife. Motability will not let you hard wire into the car, Volvo UK have advised me they do not recommend using a dash cam because of possible interference with safety systems. I note many of you use them, has the position of it on the front and rear been suggested to you, or is trial and error waiting to see if a safety element does not work, horror of horrors? Sorry so long.

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

In case you not seen click on the link

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2076
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Thank you, Chris John, mixed replies. Being a Motability vehicle we would not get a discount on insurance So will probably not bother with one. But thanks again for the link.
morganj

Post by morganj »

You could consider using a dashcam plugged in to your OBD2 port with a battery minder / cut off. Would not need to hardwire then.

Or something as simple as this.

NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks for your post. Will try speaking with Volvo UK one more time and then decide whether to use one or not.
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I have a Nextbase 522GW mounted top right of windscreen behind sun visor. The cable runs through the trim above driver and rear passenger door to the 12V outlet in boot, virtually invisible. No hard wiring required.

The sun visor wont fold flat against windscreen now, but that hasn't been any problem.

The dashcam is outside of the "no mount" zone advised by Volvo, and it all works perfectly well.

I already had the dashcam before the XC40, and as it is or was the top end model and quite expensive I was determined to use it rather than get one that others have already tried and tested.
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks Charles, M. Becoming confused. Would really like to have one without compromising anything, have been aware of any problems with interference with safety systems?
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

Well, I've had no problems so far, and it all works well. As mentioned, the Nextbase is mounted well outside of the zone specified by Volvo where you should not have anything mounted. Somewhere on the Volvo site you will find a diagram with the "no mount" zone delineated.
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Thanks for that. All a Volvo told me was they do not suggest using a dash cam at all. Will search for the diagram you mention. Very helpful thanks.
Donaldo

Post by Donaldo »

Again, Charles. M Volvo have advised me they do not recommend dash cam at all as they have not tested any against their systems. You would have thought they would. Anyway I’ll try to find sonething in the manual.