windscreen cleaning

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ACertainAge wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 am
balmoral wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:43 pm
papalimafoxtrot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:45 pm sorry if this topic has been covered before - a lot of pages listed under search on "windscreen", but how do you clean the very bottom of the windscreen inside?
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But why do you need to clean it? Mine's 2 years old and have never cleaned the inside of the screen; once about every 5 years seems enough to me!.
I'm with balmoral on this! I also cannot understand why people spend vast amounts of money on 'detailing' Its a car, they get dirty.
It’s about personal choices, some like it clean, some like it dirty. There’s no right or wrong in this...

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

papalimafoxtrot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:45 pm sorry if this topic has been covered before - a lot of pages listed under search on "windscreen", but how do you clean the very bottom of the windscreen inside?
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But why do you need to clean it? Mine's 2 years old and have never cleaned the inside of the screen; once about every 5 years seems enough to me!.
I'm with balmoral on this! I also cannot understand why people spend vast amounts of money on 'detailing' Its a car, they get dirty.
How very dare you! You should be ashamed of that comment. Now go and stand in the naughty corner this very minute and think about what you said😜
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

D’ya know when you’re in your pyjamas and then get ready to go out and don your glad rags, but come home with your hair all mashed up and food on your shirt?
Well some of us are the same about our cars 😂👍
Added to this, dirty lights and a dirty windscreen/dirty side windows can be a hazard. Anyone who’s ever owned a car with pop-up headlights will know exactly what I mean. 😁👍
🧼 🧽
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Pawelle

Post by Pawelle »

For the interior glass in general I use a bucket of warm water with a splash of vinegar. Apply with damp cloth, shine with a dry cloth.
Cleans windows, incl house windows, very well and is very inexpensive.

I find the XC40 windscreen quite upright and easily cleaned, including the base of the window, especially compared with other cars I've had. No need for special tools, perhaps I have uncommonly long arms!
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

BionicRusty wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:59 pm D’ya know when you’re in your pyjamas and then get ready to go out and don your glad rags, but come home with your hair all mashed up and food on your shirt?
Well some of us are the same about our cars 😂👍

🧼 🧽
Messed up hair and food stained shirt? That sounds like my usual look! Perhaps that's why I don't see the need to keep my car spotless.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
JackFast

Post by JackFast »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 am

It’s about personal choices, some like it clean, some like it dirty. There’s no right or wrong in this...
Isn't really a personal choice, it's a rule 😀

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/vehicle ... urity.html#

Although there's a.big difference between clean and "detailing". For detailing you'd need a baseball cap, on backwards of course.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

A screen that isn't cleaned inside at least once every few months gets a layer of grime that is very noticeable in certain conditions, e.g. low sunlight and on unlit roads.
Last edited by jamie307 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I generally use Autoglym Car Glass Polish every now and again.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

RonFleet wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:30 am I generally use Autoglym Car Glass Polish every now and again.
I use this as well, inside and out. When the outside of the windscreen gets that horrible greasy grime on it that windscreen wash won’t shift, it’s amazing. It has a very light cutting action that truly polishes all the crud away.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
isvicthere

Post by isvicthere »

I'm with Pawelle on this. Water with a dash of vinegar. It's cheap and has all the cutting action and streak freeness you'd ever need.