Can’t find locking wheel nut – was it ever supplied?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Perhaps they’re in the glove box if you don’t have a spare wheel...
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm My locking nut was/is in the glove box.
This is really strange - I picked my car up not long after you and I never got a bag like this!

We really have had totally different experiences with the same dealership.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

It might be worth checking that the locking wheel nut key fits the wheel nuts on your vehicle. My wife bought a two year old Hyundai from a dealer and we found that an ordinary wheel nut had been put in the storage location in place of the special nut key. More devious than leaving an empty space!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mine was handed to me at handover and was in a bright orange bag like the green one shown. I put it in the glovebox and you can't fail to see it whenever you open the glovebox!

Was there a checklist of any kind completed by the dealer when you bought the car? Was it new or secondhand?

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Involvoed wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:11 pm According to the service manager it will cost about £70 for a ”replacement” wheel nut.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi there. I’d stick to your guns on this and demand one is provided by Volvo. It seems common sense to me given that many have experienced the same that it is a factory problem. I take it you’ve never even looked for it let alone used it.
£70!! Pah. I don’t think so.
Good luck.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Mine was in an orange bag too, I seem to remember I signed for it.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Mine was in the boot, put back in the clear bag that originally contained the 4 locking wheelnuts. Now has the 4 original wheelnuts, the unlocking one and 4 black plastic nut covers. I looked yesterday.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

The brochure for the 2020 model clearly states locking wheel nuts are fitted .
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deluded User 2020

Post by Deluded User 2020 »

Involvoed wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:11 pm Hi, I’m new to the forum but have owned an XC40 (2.0 T4 Momentum Pro) for 2 years. I’ve enjoyed driving the car, and have had few problems, but haven’t done as many miles as I’d anticipated (11,500 miles on the clock so far).
At yesterday’s 2-year service the locking wheel nut couldn’t be found anywhere in the car. I was amazed to hear the service manager say that at least 4 other customers had experienced the same problem within the last week or so. I don’t remember ever seeing a locking wheel nut (and yes with hindsight I know I should have looked for it earlier), so I’m now beginning to wonder whether it was ever supplied in the first place. If it were going to be anywhere it might have been with the spare tyre, but all that’s there is the jack, wheel wrench, towing eye and a hollow plastic tube about 4” long whose purpose I don’t understand. According to the service manager it will cost about £70 for a ”replacement” wheel nut.
Has anyone else had this problem?
The locking wheel nuts are not left in the car in a bag. They are situated, usually one per wheel, on each wheel. They are what keep the wheel secure to the axle.

Are you referring to the key to remove a wheel nut. For cars that don't have a spare wheel they are supplied in small canvas bag, usually left in the glove compartment.

I would have thought that this should have been discovered at the first service. How on earth did they carry out the first service without removing the wheels.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Well my car doesn’t have a spare wheel and the locking wheel key is in the boot with the pump etc in the polystyrene tray

Many services now doesn’t require taking the wheels off which is why after a few years you can’t remove the wheel nuts in the event of a puncture :oops:
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras