Help needed before I order

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Steveswales

Post by Steveswales »

Hi everyone. This is my first post here...........I'm 99% ready to order a R Design pro b4p,
However im unsure as to if it comes with android auto as standard? Could some one enlighten me please?
Also I've seen some posts here regarding in built WiFi and getting the dealer to install the sim card.
Could someone explain in a little more detail for me please?
Much appreciated..............Oh and whats everyone's favourite colour for the R design?

G4a

Post by G4a »

No, android auto is an extra 350.
Getting dealer to fit a sim is a lot of far,just get a 3 data SIM.. it's plug and play.
R-Design Pro T4 Awd
G4a

Post by G4a »

*faf
R-Design Pro T4 Awd
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

(Entertainment) data sim comes as standard now so, why buy a Three sim???

On the other hand, most people don't need a sim, purchased or otherwise. The car has a hidden sim for Volvo On Call etc. and, if you have a reasonably modern phone, will happily tether to internet via Bluetooth. If you have surplus data on your phone, use that; if you don't, just leave the dealer to install the free Vodaphone sim - (s)he shouldn't need chasing, it's part of the car now.

Edit: As for colour, all of us who don't have R-Design bemoan the fact we can't have Bursting Blue - it's common but it's a great colour.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

No “faf” with a dealer supplied sim, they are supposed to supply one and should do and it’s free for a year. After the year you can change sim if you want to.
Make sure they assist you to set it up.
Mines thunder grey as looks great
Enjoy your new vehicle
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Do check the pricelist carefully to make sure you've added all the options you will need: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/resear ... -pricelist
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

You need to specify "Smartphone Integration" as an added option if you want Android Auto for £300 added as part of the build. Or it can be retrofitted by a dealer.

The XC40 can carry two sims. One is installed by volvo for VOC. A second one should also be installed by Volvo now with a Vodafone data sim which you can use as a wifi hotspot, update your maps, stream music etc. The Vodafone set-up has been reported by many to be a PITA. Many users or their dealers can't seem to get it to work easily. I predate the free vodafone sim and installed a 3 data only sim and it works without being a PITA. I might suggest try the vodafone one..if it works great..if it doesn't don't waste much time just buy a 3 data only sim for £30.

Oh and Bursting Blue
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
G4a

Post by G4a »

"Make sure they assist you to set it up." =Faf! ,🤣
R-Design Pro T4 Awd
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

As blastpipe says, many many posts on the forum bemoan the fact that the vodaphone sim setup is a stressful experience. Even some dealers do not seem to know how to do it. My purchase also predates the offer of a free sim so I got the 2 year 3 sim and it worked straight out of the box.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

The dealer SIM is worth getting (100GB should be fine for 1 years music and maps etc) for free! It is not obvious how to connect and my dealer was useless. I had 2 issues, but Google was more help than the dealer.....
SIM card would just not connect. Eventually I pulled out the SIM card (in boot rear right under cover, looks like a USB stick with an arrow), turned car off and on, reinserted and it connected!
Then you have to to set the car up as a WiFi hotspot and use a laptop in the car to connect and register on the Vodafone link (my Apple phone wouldn't do it, maybe Android might).
Then it worked. Would take me 5 mins now to do it again.
The dealer never gave me this link, which makes it obvious:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/huma ... c/activate