Off Road Mode in FWD XC40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
RobsAppleJuice

Post by RobsAppleJuice »

Hi All,

I notice that the front wheel drive only versions of the XC40 include the ‘off road’ drive mode.

Given the front wheel drive nature of the car, does anyone know what switching to this mode would actually do and is it even useful?

I’m very interested in people’s views and any info you might have!

Many thanks
Rob

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It is useful when the car has to descend a slippery incline. In Off Road mode the gearbox will automatically do the breaking and tires will not loose grip.

From user manual: Off Road mode maximise the car's traction when driving in difficult terrain and on poor roads. The steering is light and low speed function with hill descent control (HDC9) are activated. Start/Stop func- tion is deactivated. The drive mode can only be activated at low speeds and the speedometer shows the range for speed limitation. If this speed is exceeded, Off Road mode is suspended and another drive mode is activated. In the Off Road mode the driver display has a compass between the speedometer and tach- ometer.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Agree with eugen61. I have AWD & do loads of soft-roading for a major charity. Off-road mode softens throttle input but I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself.........hill descent is the absolute game-changer that makes it all worth it & works whether you have AWD or not......I've held it together on a downward slope with road tyres where an Amarok on M&S tyres with a trailer was rotated 180° & damn-near overturned as his trailer overtook him.

Edit: If you've never experienced hill-descent, it's revelation & equally as useful on a snow-packed road as it is a muddy off-road course.
Last edited by Silver Moose on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
RobsAppleJuice

Post by RobsAppleJuice »

Ah interesting - I have the manual version so that’s useful to know, thanks!
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've used HDC on the XC40 and other cars..agree it is a very useful tool.

Do think it's a shame Volvo didn't add some form of 'winter/snow' mode while they were at it. But I use eco mode that restricts acceleration and seems to have more engine braking.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Jools

Post by Jools »

We used to have a Freelander with Hill Decent Control (I think the Volvo system was "borrowed" from LR, when both were owned by Ford.....)

Anyway - just to say, HDC works by activating the brakes on each wheel separately, and controlling any slip - So HDC shouldl work just as well in a FWD car as a AWD car.

.... Getting back up the hill may be a different matter!

Joola
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

HDC is common across many manufacturers not just those that were part of Ford's Premier Automotive Group.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019