Dashcams Again

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ak888

Post by ak888 »

Ready to install a dashcam which I took off previous car (Viofo A129 front and rear).

Have been trawling through lots of posts about location (due to the radar cluster in the middle of the wind screen). Seems some have had no problems placing a dashcam next to the cluster on the passenger side.

Point of this post is to ask any one who have now been running a dashcam for many months or longer if they have had any problems or not. Or your experiences with a dashcam installed on your XC40.

Pooliepete

Post by Pooliepete »

Hi there, I’ve ran my XC40 with a Nextbase 512 for the last 15 months, sited just to the left of the central radar cluster without any issues whatsoever !
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I've had a dash cam to the left of the cluster behind the mirror without any issues for getting on for 18 months.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I have a Nextbase 522 at the rear and it interferes with the DAB. I've confirmed it's the camera body itself more than the wiring, seems to leak RF like nobody's business.

It might appear not to interfere with the cluster at the front, but you don't want to discover just exactly how it does cause problems when the autonomous braking fails just as it's trying to save someone's life. So I'd go by what Volvo say on the matter.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

What does Volvo say?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Volvo says: The camera unit is placed inside the upper section of the windscreen together with the car's radar unit. Do not place, stick or mount anything on the inside or outside of the windscreen, in front of or around the camera and radar unit – this may interfere with camera and radar-based functions. This may result functions being reduced, being switched off completely or giving incorrect function responses.

B49BB068-B936-41C1-BB12-ED8A0B7EB360.jpeg

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

jamie307 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:11 pm It might appear not to interfere with the cluster at the front, but you don't want to discover just exactly how it does cause problems when the autonomous braking fails just as it's trying to save someone's life. So I'd go by what Volvo say on the matter.
Agreed. I have mine well over to left, just poking inside swept area - probably be wiser to not have one at all???

It's all well & good having a mini-survey to capture all those who state 'I've had no problems' but the safety systems are there to capture the rare events that, hopefully, none of us will ever experience.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

That’s an interesting illustration with the forbidden area shown essentially underneath the Volvo forward detection sensors. It suggests that a dashcam positioned at the top of the screen and well away from the sensitive area should be acceptable. Isn’t it a pity that manufacturers do not now provide dashcams themselves as an option? The necessary power supply, display screen and digital storage are already there.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

WelshRobin wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:45 pm Isn’t it a pity that manufacturers do not now provide dashcams themselves as an option? The necessary power supply, display screen and digital storage are already there.
Only a matter of time I suspect before the existing cameras can be used. Tesla provide awesome dashcam & sentrycam facilities from the existing cameras (owners provide their own storage solutions).

Takes a lot of procesing power to make the cameras constantly all things to all masters.......Tesla are waayyyy ahead of the curve in this regard. You only have to go back 2-3 years to find, for example, V.A.G. lane-tracking cameras only taking a low-res, high-contrast, monochrome image and, moreover, only sampling slim horizontal bands from each frame & dumping the rest (I have the technical training docs that were used for new apprentices).

There are big advantages to car manufacturers doing the chips & software in house.........most bought-in tech is outdated before the ink is dry on the contract.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
ak888

Post by ak888 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback - was hoping the passenger (left of the technology cluster) was acceptable. This was my preferred location.