Orange Safety Key Question

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

Hi,

I ordered a R design Pro in mid June, to be delivered early September.

I have noticed that they keep removing spec from the car. The latest worries me a little, the Orange Safety key.

Has anyone got one?
Does the key function EXACTLY like the normal key? Particularly interested to hear if it remembers the owners seat position like the standard key. My wife and I had a Volvo S40 and loved the fact that we had our own keys, which when used, moved the seat, altered temperature and even the media to what the driver had set.
Also, has anyone changed the plastic bits as I think it is very cheap looking for such a premium car. if anyone has any pics of the orange key and any of them with different sides fitted I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

There is already a post about this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2066
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

Yeah, I read that, but my question is a request for info.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi. I don't have the power seat pack but the orange care key does NOT act exactly like a normal key. It is linked only to one profile that is pre named as care key. Yes, it does seem to remember certain settings but what you can't do is select another profile. eg if you both go a on a journey and share driving you have to remember to take the main key so you can choose profiles from the screen (eg His and Hers for example) but if you took the care key you can't swap profiles and therefore automove seats. Also you also have to copy all of the settings for 'Her' profile exactly onto the 'Care Key' profile. Someone in Volvo (Volvo UK) has really messed up in not understanding how keys and owners use their cars by making the care key the standard second key.
They have offered to sell me another main key!!! I have declined and replied back with extracts from the website and MY21 owners manual which both make reference to linking 2 profiles to 2 keys! I await their response....
MarminUK

Post by MarminUK »

Thats rubbish, this changed since I ordered mine. I am 6'1, wife is 5'. So if I try to get in after her I have to move the seat BEFORE I can sit down. It was a big plus for us. I asked the dealer, who emailed me back saying it had all the same functionality, but you COULD limit it. Think I will contact Volvo, what address did you use?
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

My dealer said the sameas yours that it had the same profile functions. I then asked him to demonstrate it and he couldn't. I also showed them this extract from the MY21 manual:

"Limitations of Care Key
The key is linked to a special Care Key driver profile, and when it is active, the key's settings cannot be changed. It is not possible to change to another driver profile either; this requires a normal remote control key.
The driver profile is activated when the car is unlocked with a Care Key without a normal remote control key in the vicinity."

And this is the response I got back from Volvo UK:

"The new set-up for MY21 as standard is that the cars come with one standard key that allows you to attach a driver profile to it and one Care Key where you can modify the top speed of the vehicle only (no profile).
If the customer wishes to allocate another key with a profile, other than the one standard key supplied with the vehicle, they will need to purchase another key as a spare part."

I just used the online form to contact Volvo UK. I'm still waiting for their reply to this statement which is still on the specifications on the website for MY21 vehicles:
"Each driver can have his or her personal remote control, and the car will adjust to the individual settings of each control. Two remote controls are standard, and your Volvo can handle up to an additional ten remote controls."

I don't want the added item in my life of leaving the house and going "Have we got wallets/kids/dog/phones/jackets/kids food etc" to have to add "have we got the RIGHT car key?!"
G4a

Post by G4a »

Wow!, my21 with everything that has been taken out or charged extra for! If this is the route Volvo are taking, I certainly won't be getting another vehicle from them .
2 main keys are a necessity ffs !!
R-Design Pro T4 Awd
Rikdick

Post by Rikdick »

Hi new on here, so be gentle please. We've recently ordered an XC40 MY21 and read on here about this care key. I challenged my dealer about this issue and they too gave the same response saying the only difference was top speed alteration. They told me it was on the spec sheet which it was but nothing about any limitations, so checked Volvo website and there it is in black and white stating it functions exactly as a standard keyfob but listed below was then the limitations. Called Volvo UK and like you say they confirmed no driver profile on the care key. This is important to my wife and I as we are two completely different heights and we both use the car daily. As this was not listed on the spec sheet when time of order my dealer has nicely agreed to supply a second fob free of charge.
Obviously Volvo need to amend there spec sheet and make this plain!