MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Sorry to be a pain, but does the orange key have the emergency door key in it?
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D

BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Just had the following statement from Volvo UK.

“Hi Wayne, the new 2021 XC40 comes with two keys, one of which is a Care Key. With a Care Key, you are able to set up a maximum speed for when someone is using the car with that key, but all other functions of the key are the same as those of a normal remote control.“

So the care key is said to have exactly the same functionality the main key but you can set parameters on the care key. So as far as I’m concerned now, if it does not have the same function when I get it, it’s faulty and so will be returned for a replacement.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

To me this seems more cost cutting from Volvo... I got the MY2020 XC40 Phev Momentum plus trim.

Although I got the two "regular" keys plus a "Key tag" key, the fact that I (we) now have to write regular keys with "s on regular is just stupid. The cost saving is now borderline crossing common sense. Even if they say the 2 included keys are the "regular" and the key-tag if you read the manual it says:
Button-less key (Key Tag)*

The key tag provided with the keyless locking and unlocking function works in the same way as the standard remote control key as regards keyless starting and locking and unlocking. The key is waterproof to a depth of approx. 10 metres (30 feet) for up to 60 minutes. It has no detachable key blade and the battery cannot be replaced.
So... when the key tag battery is empty should I just dispose the key?!?! :D :D :D hilarious!!
Is there any other kind of lock with "regular keys" in the world where the keys have an expiration date?

I'm mad the light and windscreen wiper stalks don't have integrated light (good luck messing with them during the night) and ANGRY MAD I don't have a dome light (or any other kind of light on the back seats) on a 40k car... I though it was ridiculous... not having two keys? just pathetic!!

Makes me doubt the future of the brand. What are they projecting for? Are they dying and as such trying to delay it? Are they running on fumes? Are they trying to get some more money from selling the second "regular" key?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Come on Volvo! Get your poo together! When I first drove the test car I left the dealership amazed!! Don't screw things to the point were there's no turning back! (or just fire your product manager(s))

We want the "old" Volvo back! :D
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

I don’t get the light and wiper stalks aren’t illuminated thing. Surely the lights and wipers are all automatic so don’t need illuminating. Even if you don’t have the wipers on auto it’s up for on, down for off. With high beam, forward and back. Not exactly hard that one!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Bernard Bernardsson

Had an email from the dealer, assures me the only difference with the care key is the additional feature of being able to restrict the speed. If this is so, that's absolutely fine. Does beg the question, however, why not just make all keys speed restrictable? Anyhows, providing key is fully functioning, presumably it can just be set to 112 mph and then no difference. A press release was attached hinting it may reduce insurance costs, let's hope volvo insurance put their money where their mouth is and take a lead on this by reducing their premiums!
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
aublick

Post by aublick »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 am Had an email from the dealer, assures me the only difference with the care key is the additional feature of being able to restrict the speed. If this is so, that's absolutely fine.
Yes, that's what they claim, but it is not true, because you cannot link the key to a driver's profile. You can find more details in previous posts.
Bernard Bernardsson

Believe me, I've read the other posts til my eyes bleed... I can only accept what the saleesman tells me, and I'm not about to tell him he's wrong on the basis of a forum on the Internet. Truth is its not been the pleasurable experience I hoped for, buying my first new car. But we do live in strange times, so as they say, poo happens. I'm more than a bit miffed with not getting my original order MY20 car, but I didn't, so yes, I'm a bit down about the new spec for MY21, which has been discussed on here. However, the dealer has offered to throw in the towbar for free, as way of apology for the cock up with the original order. So it's a case of suck it and see, with the key, if its not right enough to be a problem, I presumably have a case to complain and get another key provided, if its OK, then it's OK. The press release states all M21 volvos will be the same, so if the keys aren't right, I'm sure they will be getting plenty of feedback about it. At the end of the day, I can't complain about something that hasn't happened yet, can I?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Funny what you say about the salesman. For the demo we had to use an Inscription but then had a look at the salesmans R-Design (wonder why we couldn't try that?) and asked him to show my wife the powered tailgate we were interested in. He didn't know that you could restrict the opening that I had read about on here. So as regards a key which is more complicated!!!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 2507

Post by Deleted User 2507 »

I'm about a month away from delivery of what I am expecting to be a MY20 order, however I do have my doubts because I checked the spec and I ordered reversing camera as an option and its now standard on MY21 so they may change without telling me, plus it's a lease car so they may just not be bothered. I guess time will tell in a month, unless they delay again? My original delivery date was 7th July.

Key is annoying but I won't lose any sleep if I'm being honest
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 pm So it's a case of suck it and see, with the key, if its not right enough to be a problem
I think you have the right approach.

I can sort of understand how (a minority of) people who share a car like to lock everything down on their profile but.....I don't think this is how most people live.

Firstly, the car doesn't have electric steering column adjustment, so key/profile settings aren't a game-changer - seat settings are just one (memory) button press away.

Secondly, key profiles are a pain in practice as you have to remember to save settings every time you change something.

Thirdly, maybe it's just me but, I like climate & infotainment settings to pick up from where I left off as (for me) they vary according to: time of year; activity; and location. So, even if I was sharing a car, I wouldn't want it to always start up at 20° + R2 anymore that I would want my wife's hot yoga + Justin Bieber playlist :)

BTW, I think your dealer should be truly applauded for offering a free towbar - a generous offer.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera