MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi
I posted earlier that my MY21 came with only one main black key and one orange care key. I complained to Volvo and they have just confirmed that MY21 only come with one main key.
You can't link the orange care key to a driver profile so if you want individual items set to your own preference you either can't or need to have only 1 key between a couple and manually select a profile everytime you start the car, rather than it auto select as you unlock it. It's pain then you can't have a key each on your own keyring!
The website even states (still) it comes with 2 keys to link to a driver profile.
I have no need for a restricted function care key (as I'm sure most don't) but would much rather have 2 x full function keys, like every other vehicle I've ever owned.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who ordered the power seats pack. Did you get 2 main black keys ? (I did not order the power seat pack) - that would be even more annoying.
Shame, as the rest of the car so far is a great family car.

Morse

Post by Morse »

That’s interesting. I have two keys, well three including the ‘active lifestyle’ key but I’m driving an old car 2018 registration. The reason I found it interesting is because I was watching a YouTube video of a guy in the states prepping a car for handover and that came with 4 keys, two main, the active lifestyle and the orange key for car sharing. My car didn’t come with the car sharing key. It’s interesting that the North American market gets all the keys but UK have to buy additionals
T5 Inscription Pro, Pine Grey, blond interior . Intellisafe pro Xenium pack, Harmon Kardon. Ordered 25th Sept. 18. Delivered 19 Dec following a cancellation and move to earlier factory assembly slot.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

I'll be asking about that and if it's only got 1 main key, I'll be telling them to cancel the order I'm afraid.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
morganj

Post by morganj »

Can confirm.

Just collected my recharge this morning. One “normal” key. One orange and one sport.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Bernard: I'll be interested to hear what they say when you ask, get it in writing, and if they tell you you can link the orange key to a profile - ask them to demonstrate it !
Bernard Bernardsson

Hi Deputy, I've emailed the salesman, and will let you know what he says. I've ordered an inscription, which has in the specifications, "power driver seat with memory for seat and exterior mirrors", if you only get 1full key with memory functions, seems like there's not much for it to remember, to me. I'm still a bit miffed about the loss of inscription badging on the rear pillar, headrests and door sill plates. I just feel theres too much cost cutting around the small details, for an alleged premium car brand.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Do the restricted function keys offer the same protection against relay theft as the main keys? I believe that the MY21 main key now includes a motion sensor to help guard against relay theft.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Volvo seem to have lost the plot...one key and major lack of individual options (just huge expensive packs)

Can't see Volvo being my next car at this rate..The XC40 will have 3 wheels...two seats...a secondhand engine...yellow is the only colour and a head office in Peckham...Cushty mange tout bonnet de douche.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:19 pm Hi Deputy, I've emailed the salesman, and will let you know what he says. I've ordered an inscription, which has in the specifications, "power driver seat with memory for seat and exterior mirrors", if you only get 1full key with memory functions, seems like there's not much for it to remember, to me. I'm still a bit miffed about the loss of inscription badging on the rear pillar, headrests and door sill plates. I just feel theres too much cost cutting around the small details, for an alleged premium car brand.
The description you quoted doesn't mention keys. I have a Momentum with keyless drive but not keyless entry, I also have a powered drivers seat and mirrors. The memory for these is via the touchscreen, not the keys.

As far as I can tell the number of keys and any memory function they might have is not specified in any of the sales literature.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Bernard Bernardsson

That's right, I'm just pointing out that if you only have 1 proper key, there's nothing to remember with the memory function. Every other car I've had with memory function has adjusted seats and mirrors depending on which key is used to unlock the car. Does yours have the two buttons on the door?