MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I haven’t even taken delivery of mine yet and all of these deletions and downgrades for MY21 are really making me consider cancelling. The cars I test drove and the specific discussions I had with my sales guy are in clear breach of the Consumer Act.
I’m coming from an X1 which has just been updated adding things that bugs me about mine. I love a twin exhaust and mine is single, bulbs for brakes, bulbs for indicators, halogen headlights, etc. (I paid ~£750 for LED’s but still had bulbs.)
Now the whole exterior lighting is led.
Whereas Volvo have pillaged much of what I loved about the car.
I’m in a real quandary now.
One key? I mean come on Volvo.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020

RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

I placed the order for my MY21 B4P Inscription Pro this morning. I had a long discussion with the sales guy about keys. I'm still not 100% convinced that the orange key cannot be used as a regular key, but as a safeguard I negotiated an additional key into the deal.

I find it incredible that I needed to do that on a car with an RRP close to £40k - which is why I wonder if I'm missing something somewhere...
aublick

Post by aublick »

Inspro wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am Hi newbie here

Due to pick up an inscription pro in september having ordered back in March/April time.

Reading all the stories about single key I did some digging, as I was uneasy possibly getting a single key. It appears if you ordered an MY20 that is what should be delivered, with 2 keys, if an MY21 was ordered then it is single key. The issie arises with who is it blame I rattled some cages at Volvo using
You may be quite right there. Our dealer promised to order from Volvo a second "regular" key, as this is what was ordered when we ordered our MY20, and therefore this is what we should get. We agreed to wait until after holidays, so fingers crossed.

Still, I find this change on the Volvo's side quite puzzling, as the "orange" key does not seem any cheaper then the regular key. Why would they do that switch? I still have this wild idea that the orange key was concieved to behave as the "regular" one, plus the option to limit the speed, but due to some strange software bug, it does not do so. Otherwise, why would it be orange? The usual "care" key is red, not orange AFAIK.
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

One thing’s suddenly dawned on me, there’s going to lots of cars sold on with no main keys.
I’m not even going to discuss this with my dealer because I know it’s going to be like banging my head on a brick wall.
Even though the MY21 manual still clearly states two keys!
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

So I've been playing around with main and orange keys (I don't have power memory seats so can't vouch for their functions, only the settings for locks, driver aids, infotainment, displays etc).
The orange care key can certainly save settings to a dedicated care key profile but:

-This profile cannot be locked, so any settings changed whilst driving (eg you may want to temporarily change driver aid settings) then get saved as the new setting when you power off. A regular key allows you to lock setting so they always return to your preferred setup even if you change when driving for a temporary reason
- The care key profile cannot be selected as a profile. Say you want to share driving on a holiday or longer journey and are using the main black key. If driver 2 normally has the care key on their keyring they cannot select this a driver profile when you switch drivers. So you have to then program driver Profile 2 to be a copy of the care key key profile and then any changes you make to the care key profile need to be done again with the main key in the car and saved again on Driver 2 profile (just a pain)
- If Driver 2 picks you up using a care key and then you want to change drivers, you cannot select any other profiles so would need to change settings manually between drivers!

You may decide to use just the one main black key between you and manually select your profile, but this means getting in, starting the car and another 3 screen swipes every time and it was taking over a minute to change settings on the infotainment as it needs to 'reboot' rather than starting up with the right settings as you unlock the car (I'm assuming if you had powered seats this could be a pain as if the shorter driver was driving then the taller driver settings would not automatically move the seats until you've pressed the profile and/or seat memory setting rather than moving automatically?)

Now, you may say first world problems but I paid first world prices for first world features and some muppet at Volvo Corporate has specified this care key as a standard without realising how families use their cars! It's annoying as I'm really liking the rest of the car. If I'm wrong in this and someone has got a full profile working please let me know (but the manual and Volvo UK both say the care key is linked to restricted profile)
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Annoying that Volvo made this change to the specification...seems totally illogical... but all easily solved by purchasing an additional key through a dealership if those aspects are important to you.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deluded User 2020

Post by Deluded User 2020 »

Deputy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:54 am Hi
I posted earlier that my MY21 came with only one main black key and one orange care key. I complained to Volvo and they have just confirmed that MY21 only come with one main key.
You can't link the orange care key to a driver profile so if you want individual items set to your own preference you either can't or need to have only 1 key between a couple and manually select a profile everytime you start the car, rather than it auto select as you unlock it. It's pain then you can't have a key each on your own keyring!
The website even states (still) it comes with 2 keys to link to a driver profile.
I have no need for a restricted function care key (as I'm sure most don't) but would much rather have 2 x full function keys, like every other vehicle I've ever owned.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who ordered the power seats pack. Did you get 2 main black keys ? (I did not order the power seat pack) - that would be even more annoying.
Shame, as the rest of the car so far is a great family car.
The website still says the car comes with two remote control units. You should have no difficulty obtaining two remote control units when you pick up the car. Take a dated screenshot with you and demand your customer rights.
RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

Blossom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 am

The website still says the car comes with two remote control units. You should have no difficulty obtaining two remote control units when you pick up the car. Take a dated screenshot with you and demand your customer rights.

According to my dealer, the two remote control units are 1 - the main remote control key and 2 - the care key remote control key. :roll:
Inspro

Post by Inspro »

RichardXC wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:36 pm
Blossom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 am

According to my dealer, the two remote control units are 1 - the main remote control key and 2 - the care key remote control key. :roll:
I have been trying to get more from Volvo with that issue under the consumer protection act 2008 giving misleading or insufficent information.

Complain to the dealership at Volvo UK I am unsure it will get you anywhere but if you want two full keys.
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Does anyone know if it's just the xc40 or the whole volvo range, and if it's just the UK, Europe or worldwide?
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D