MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

BionicRusty wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:26 am
isvicthere wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:32 am I can't see BBC Watchdog interested in some poor unfortunate Volvo owners having spent £40k, now having to spend an additional £75.

Not exactly riveting TV 😀.
Fair point. 😂
To be fair it would give some of the stuff on telly these days a run for their money :lol:
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

It's annoying but the fix, for those that desire a fully functioning duplicate key, is only a £75 option. For those that have teenagers in their family the care key is probably worth its weight in gold.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Moss

Post by Moss »

It is quite obvious that Volvo, as most other luxury car manufacturers, charges ridiculously high prices for additional or duplicate key fobs. Although I personally never needed a second or third key fob for any of my cars, I can imagine that some people do or think they do.
No problem whatsoever : as is anything costing less than 1% of the total car price, a free additional key fob is very easily negotiated when buying a car of some value,
RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

There is a lot of talk in this thread about key fobs costing £75. I can't find anything official to back that up...

The latest price list still shows fobs at £175.

Can anyone point me at any Volvo communication/press release etc?
Bernard Bernardsson

That's just the shell, not the key😳😳
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
RichardXC

Post by RichardXC »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:55 am That's just the shell, not the key😳😳
Well, it’s the shell and the important electronic gubbins I think. It doesn’t include the ‘blade’ (the actual old-fashioned key) though.
Bernard Bernardsson

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/accessorie ... mote%20key
I'm not sure, seems like just the "shell" to me?
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Yup, full key fob would usually be around double that.

The £75 thing came from member Shan (scroll back) who received the offer via email from Volvo (edit: sorry, dealer). Anybody wanting to take up offer probably needs to pm Shan and/or email Volvo or speak to dealer to find out how to go about it.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

I agree. It definitely is the shell (cover) only that is £175.
Volvo haven’t made any statement or given any press release as such, in the same way they did not for the fact that they are now selling cars with only one key.
A £75 optional key may be hard to get as many dealers, mine included, didn’t even know about the MY21 changes. Or chose not to say anything even though we discussed some of the ‘old’ features. It’s almost as if the MY21 model is clawing back cash for Volvo that the First Edition model features benefited from.
All told, it’s pretty poor.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020
Shan

Post by Shan »

BionicRusty wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:27 am I agree. It definitely is the shell (cover) only that is £175.
Volvo haven’t made any statement or given any press release as such, in the same way they did not for the fact that they are now selling cars with only one key.
A £75 optional key may be hard to get as many dealers, mine included, didn’t even know about the MY21 changes. Or chose not to say anything even though we discussed some of the ‘old’ features. It’s almost as if the MY21 model is clawing back cash for Volvo that the First Edition model features benefited from.
All told, it’s pretty poor.
Yep, the £75 thing was as quoted earlier in an email from the dealer, and they've now agreed to swallow the cost. I actually do have a genuine need for 2 keys, preferably programmable (just for convenience), as its not unusual for me to leave the car somewhere and my wife to pick it up later or vice versa. Also my wife is a fair bit shorter than me, and I've lost count of the number of times (in various vehicles) that I've forgotten to hit the memory button on the door before getting in and finding myself wedged half-way. All minor stuff I know, but when spending upwards of £40k on a fully loaded car I don't think 2 programmable keys is too much to ask.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if the offer of a free key now has something to do with the outstanding servicing deal they are still trying to sell me.