MY21 only 1 main key confirmed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Moss

Post by Moss »

Felindre wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:31 pm No, the main driver profile you can assigned to the black key and edit and rename. Beszi is referring to the orange key which defaults to profile 2 and you cannot rename.

From earlier comments, if you get a second key and assign to the car you can associate with profile 2 and rename. I guess the orange then associates to profile 3?
OK, thanks. Well, I guess this answers both of beszi’s questions :

1) do you know how Driver Profile 2's name can be changed (it is grayed out)?

It looks like the driver profile name of the care key (also known as the orange key) cannot be changed. (Maybe the dealer is able to change the name, who knows?)

2) do you know, when you buy a second normal key fob, whether they add a new driver profile to the car or not?

Logically and from earlier comments, the dealer adds a new driver profile when you buy a second black key fob, of which the name can be changed. However, just to be sure, it’s best to ask the dealer if this is right.

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Moss wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:08 pm

2) do you know, when you buy a second normal key fob, whether they add a new driver profile to the car or not?

Logically and from earlier comments, the dealer adds a new driver profile when you buy a second black key fob, of which the name can be changed. However, just to be sure, it’s best to ask the dealer if this is right.
I can confirm this (I got the extra black key)

When another key is added, a new profile becomes available (maximum of 10) which you can then customise and rename as you wish
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Moss

Post by Moss »

m@rk wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:44 am
Moss wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:08 pm

I can confirm this (I got the extra black key)

When another key is added, a new profile becomes available (maximum of 10) which you can then customise and rename as you wish
Thanks for confirming the answer to the second question, Mark.
Also thanks to Felindre, and here’s hoping that he, you, and I working together, beszi now has all the information he needs.
Oli

Post by Oli »

Does anyone know if you can change the Orange Key to work like a black key in the UK?
My wife and I both drive the car and it seems stupid that we can only have one profile.
I know in the US you can get it reprogrammed for free under warranty (TJ35978) but have no idea if that applies here?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

As previous replies, you need to buy a regular black key.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Contrary to some of what has been said above I do believe the orange key can be re-programmed.

I was negotiating to replace our 2019 T4 for a new T5 recharge and said I wanted a second key as part of the deal as we had found the two user profiles very useful.

While our dealer would not give me a second black key he has added the reprogramming of the orange key to the deal for free (confirmed in writing).
Oli

Post by Oli »

Felindre wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 pm As previous replies, you need to buy a regular black key.
This is a fairly recent change in policy in the US, since the previous replies. You can now call any US dealership and have the Orange key reprogrammed for free under the Volvo Factory warranty.
The warranty code for this work is TJ35978 but I have no idea if there is something similar in the UK? Do the same TJ (Technical Journal) codes apply here?
Oli

Post by Oli »

Wedgie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:23 am Contrary to some of what has been said above I do believe the orange key can be re-programmed.

I was negotiating to replace our 2019 T4 for a new T5 recharge and said I wanted a second key as part of the deal as we had found the two user profiles very useful.

While our dealer would not give me a second black key he has added the reprogramming of the orange key to the deal for free (confirmed in writing).
Thanks, that's useful information! At least some of the UK dealerships at least know it's possible then.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Oli wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am This is a fairly recent change in policy in the US, since the previous replies. You can now call any US dealership and have the Orange key reprogrammed for free under the Volvo Factory warranty.
The warranty code for this work is TJ35978 but I have no idea if there is something similar in the UK? Do the same TJ (Technical Journal) codes apply here?
Has anyone in the UK successfully done this yet?
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

I don't know how this might pan out for anybody else, but when purchasing my (used) 2021 - which only had one normal and one orange key - the salesperson explained to me that Volvo was aware that many people weren't happy with the reduced key functionality. Accordingly, if I as the customer complained to the dealer about it, they were able to claim the majority of the cost of a second key back from Volvo under some sort of warranty.

When I first spoke to him about it, he wasn't sure if the option was still running so he had to check to make sure that it was still valid.

In the end, I paid £85 extra (which I believe is just the labour in programming the key to the car) and now have two 'proper' black keys, plus the Care Key, plus the little waterproof key/tag thingy.

It's worth having a talk with your dealership; I feel an extra key (even at minimal cost) really is far preferable to some of the suggestions of trying to hack the orange key..!