R-Design or Inscription?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Capirossi

Post by Capirossi »

Hi all. I have placed an order for a black onyx MY21 R-Design, but I don't know if I have made the right choice! I am tempted to go for the Inscription instead, as it has heated seats and (I believe) a reversing camera? I have a high spec on my current car and am a bit loathe to go backwards. I prefer the sportier look of the R, with the black grille surround, roof rails and window seals, and I think the sports chassis will be more me (am a biker, I like a sporty ride!) however, I can't help but be disappointed with the lack of basics on the R. I would pay extra to have the windows tinted on the Inscription. I test drove a Momentum and was very underwhelmed, it was just so easy to drive, point and go, and I am wondering if the R felt more of a tougher ride? Would appreciate your thoughts and experience :D

gt40

Post by gt40 »

In my humble opinion, the minute you put chrome on a car it becomes an old man's car and has to be driven accordingly, preferably with string backed driving gloves. Leave the chrome off and it can be any car you want it to be.

Don't believe me? Next time you get held up on the twisty bits by someone doing 40 in a 60, or you get stuck at the back of a queue behind a caravan, check the amount of chrome on the culprit's car.

Get the R, spec it to your liking, and know that that person is not you.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The driving feel will be different in R-Design since it’s equipped with a harder tuned sport suspension. Inscription will drive the same way as the Momentum test car. All other differences are limited to design, so it’s down to your personal preference.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Why not just add heated seats (might be part of a pack) and rear camera like I did?

I have a sports car and bikes and so like a firmer ride as well. I find the R-Design just right, firm enough but comfortable on our poor roads. It ain't no sports car though and you tend to drive in a more relaxed manner as befits the type of car that the XC40 is.

Bear in mind (from another thread) that the R-Design has lost some of its nice design touches.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

I've just taken delivery of a T3 R Design (and also have a Yamaha MT10!). The MY21 has lost the gear change paddles, not even an option, so you have to use the silly sideways + - to change gears manually. However it's a comfy family car so just stick it in D and relax. The T5 version is actually pretty nippy but don't buy it for lap times......
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Had several test drives in R-design models and rather like them they were all manual variants until last one which was auto , this made up my mind to have an auto and I always preferred the Inscription because of the leather seats, couldn't get on with the Alcantara, although you can spec leather in the R.

It won't make much difference whatever you opt for and I remember having second thoughts after placing my order, the delivery time doesn't help as you have plenty of time to ponder. Go with your instinct instead of thinking what you should/could have chosen.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I went from a high end Audi Q3 to a XC40 Inscription last December. The Q3 had bigger wheels (19"), fatter tyres (255) and stiffer suspension than the XC40, and it handled sharp bends superbly. The Q3 was very slightly less comfortable. By comparison the XC40 is comfortable and nice to drive on normal roads but handles like a barge on twisty roads and is not much of a fun car. Looking back I wish I had had a closer look at the R design.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Have to agree with Charles_M I have the T4 inscription pro - lovely motor to drive on motorway and can be nippy off the mark but its wallowy in bends and unsure of itself to the point it makes me nervous and the Mrs nauseous I'm no rally driver either.

wish i'd gone for the r design in hindsight- we ordered the cream leather seats and was told by the dealer that the rest of the interior was black - and it isn't - its a sea of cream leather and carpet! don't get me wrong people comment on how nice it is and its very well made but we had it since the end of march and I still every time I'm in it regret it
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Don't regret the Inscription Pro in fact it wasn't even a choice once I had seen the two interiors, not interested in hanging on the door handles so serene wafting is perfectly suited to the Inscription set up. With the state of the roads I wouldn't want any harder suspension either, not nice for the passengers.
Each to their own
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

@billybob2019. You sure you have cream carpet? 😂. In fact my wife was initially disappointed that there wasn't more blonde trim than there is. Compare with an S90 which are completely blonde inside!

Interesting what Charles M says. We came from an entry level Q3 Sport with 17" wheels and the handling was far sharper than the XC40's. Road noise was lower too but wind noise and engine noise both louder (1.4 TFSi)

However, to me the Volvo is far more comfortable and refined. I went Inscription non Pro, as I didn't want 19" wheels, and even with the 18" wheels there's quite a bit of bump thump over potholes, but overall I find the ride smoother than the Q3's.

We drove an R Design Pro before we chose Inscription and found that comfortable too but far from sporty. In fact the road roar at motorway speeds was what made our minds up.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.