R-Design or Inscription?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Capirossi

Post by Capirossi »

Goldfish wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:42 pm 👏👏

Did you also get the leather seat? My last year RD-pro couldn't spec it but it is an option now.

Enjoy🤗
No, I stuck with the standard seats. I wanted to try it for a change, as have really struggled with sitting on coals this summer when unable to find somewhere cool to park! I do love a leather seat though. I'm happy with my lot now, especially as the MY21 has the electric tailgate included. Although I am disappointed with the removal of the R-D logos on the back pillars 🤦‍♀️

Oldcol

Post by Oldcol »

Hi all .
Just joined the forum , and have been trawling thro the Q &As very interesting reading ,i am seriously thinking about gettin a XC40 not sure which engine yet tho , or which trim either , had to smile about vw up tho , as thats what ive been commuting in for the last 4years , and upset a few bigger more powerful cars in the twisty bits lol, now reaching retirement so time for a treat ,
goldy

Post by goldy »

Capirossi wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Did you also get the leather seat? My last year RD-pro couldn't spec it but it is an option now.

Enjoy🤗
I was disappointed that the moulded name on the rear pillar had gone when my new Inscription arrived so had a couple laser cut for £12. Result

No, I stuck with the standard seats. I wanted to try it for a change, as have really struggled with sitting on coals this summer when unable to find somewhere cool to park! I do love a leather seat though. I'm happy with my lot now, especially as the MY21 has the electric tailgate included. Although I am disappointed with the removal of the R-D logos on the back pillars 🤦‍♀️
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
goldy

Post by goldy »

goldy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 pm
Capirossi wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Enjoy🤗
I was disappointed that the moulded name on the rear pillar had gone when my new Inscription arrived so had a couple laser cut for £12. Result

energyuk

Post by energyuk »

Can you tell me a bit more about these laser cut moulded names, how did you attach them and where did you get them from.
I’m disappointed that the branding was removed on MY21.
Thanks
XC40 / B4P / Inscription / Pebble Grey / Blond Leather / Climate Pack / Driver Assist Pack / Lounge Pack / 19.5 Alloys / Tempa Spare Wheel / Dark Tinted Rear Windows
goldy

Post by goldy »

Company called GR Labels in oldham. Just a straight forward lazer cut sticker.
They've got the 'font' on file so you just choose the colour you want.
Oldcol

Post by Oldcol »

I havent purchased one yet, just researching which engine and transmission ,manual or auto ,
I would really like a light coloured interior , but also love the black grill of the R Design,i guess this isnt a option on the other trim levels ,
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Oldcol wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 am I havent purchased one yet, just researching which engine and transmission ,manual or auto ,
I would really like a light coloured interior , but also love the black grill of the R Design,i guess this isnt a option on the other trim levels ,

I’ve had both now, and it’s impossible to advise anyone else on which to choose. Black roof or not? Probably depends on main body colour choice. Paddles or not? I liked them, but rarely used them on the R-Design. Can still drive the Inscription in “manual” mode with the gear selector. Suspension - dynamic or sport? I’ve got 4-C on the Inscription so it has 3 settings to configure in Individual drive mode. Wheel choice? Chrome trim or black? etc. All personal/subjective choices.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

pjm007 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 am
Oldcol wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 am I havent purchased one yet, just researching which engine and transmission ,manual or auto ,

I’ve had both now, and it’s impossible to advise anyone else on which to choose. Black roof or not? Probably depends on main body colour choice. Paddles or not? I liked them, but rarely used them on the R-Design. Can still drive the Inscription in “manual” mode with the gear selector. Suspension - dynamic or sport? I’ve got 4-C on the Inscription so it has 3 settings to configure in Individual drive mode. Wheel choice? Chrome trim or black? etc. All personal/subjective choices.

Forgot one more thing - full leather or not? I much prefer the blond leather interior to charcoal nubuck, a lighter brighter cabin especially with the pan roof is a great look, but again that’s a personal opinion. Good luck with your decision making!
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Welcome Oldcol. I was in very much your position in terms of researching and wanting an approaching-retirement treat. Different in that I was always going to buy a nearly-new (a car pre-registered by the dealership to make up their sales numbers), not a brand new.

Purely subjectively, I decided against an Inscription because I personally dislike the look of the chrome trim and I'd rather not have leather seats.

The 'nubuck' seats of the R-Design look good and feel good to me.

There was a WhatCar review of the XC40 where they said the R-Design had a slightly firmer ride, but was considerably less floppy (all tall cars wallow a bit on cornering).

That's the trim sorted, now to the engine... :-)
Buying nearly-new, there was almost no difference between T4 and T5 AWD... so have the later. Put it into Sports and floor it and the T5 goes like stink. Otherwise it is refined and well-behaved and conceales it's ample horsepower.

I had been a lifelong 'manual' driver before the XC40, but there are a lot of really nice features that only work with auto.

The best feature of the car for me is the (rather expensive option) Adaptive Cruise Control. Press a button and it locks on to the car in front and matches speed and distance.
Next best feature Blind Spot Information... your door mirrors light up to warn you if a car is either in your blind-spot, or approaching fast.

No doubt other makes do similar, but I am hugely impressed by these features.
MY2020 R-Design