R-Design or Inscription?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

72 dudes wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 pm Blimey, who'd have thought a question about whether to go Inscription or R Design would produce so much emotion and bitterness!

Personally I love a bit of chrome on a car, and I don't consider myself a mimsying driver.

Momentum anyone? 😂
Funny isn't it?!

In a world where the the two big petrol-head prejudices combine (Volvo + SUV) someone so hard of thinking asserts that, having black window trims means they can proclaim:

............." I'M BATMAN"

speaks volumes.

The XC40 is a magnificent car, whichever trim you prefer (it's mostly aesthetics), but it's no athlete - a 1.0 VW Up could outrun it in the twisties.

Enjoy your car for what it is, not for some teenage fantasy of what you think it should be.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera

Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

I don’t think there’s any bitterness, just everyone expressing their own preferences and the reasons for the choices they have made.
Car and bike meet different needs, yes I use the bike 5 days a week all year round, but the car I use at the weekend, for different purposes .
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Spider62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:06 pm I don’t think there’s any bitterness, just everyone expressing their own preferences and the reasons for the choices they have made.
Car and bike meet different needs, yes I use the bike 5 days a week all year round, but the car I use at the weekend, for different purposes .
As someone who's lived with the 4C, how do you find it?

I was lucky enough to get an unsupervised test drive in one and, although I found 'comfort' too hard for me, boy oh boy could I feel the suspension tighten into a corner when I really slung it in.

I think there are better cars (Audi A3) for sporty driving but, the 4C XC40 I drove was a revelation (though I need soft suspension + ride height myself). and I think it's a shame that it's no longer offered (am I right on this??)
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
gt40

Post by gt40 »

balmoral wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:14 pm
gt40 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:14 am In my humble opinion, the minute you put chrome on a car it becomes an old man's car and has to be driven accordingly, preferably with string backed driving gloves. Leave the chrome off and it can be any car you want it to be.

Don't believe me? Next time you get held up on the twisty bits by someone doing 40 in a 60, or you get stuck at the back of a queue behind a caravan, check the amount of chrome on the culprit's car.

Get the R, spec it to your liking, and know that that person is not you.
On the basis of this remark I can only deduce that the R Design is targeted at ageist bigots!
Apologies for any offence, it was unintended
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Spider62

Post by Spider62 »

Silver Moose- I am pleased that I went for the 4c suspension, it makes the car very versatile for me. I’ve moved from a Golf Mk7 GTI so am use to a firm controlled ride but was wanting a SUV to meet changing lifestyle needs (parents getting older and grandkids) and thought this would be a good compromise.
If I’m off down the motorway the comfort mode give a great smooth ride but as you said on a cross county run, I can switch to a taught controlled ride which I love.
I think suspension is again a very subjective thing and depends what you are use to. I would definitely choose it again if it was still available, it dose make a big tall SUV handle very well and still have the refined comfort when you want it.
R-Design Pro T4 Auto FWD Bursting blue. Intellisafe Pro, Active 4-C Chassis, Rear Park Assist Camera, Front Park Assist, Tempa Spare Wheel, Smartphone Intergration.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

you’re right the carpet is black, but the snow blindness of the blond door cards and the dash made me think it was lol

to qualify a bit it is a lovely car and comfy and quiet abs the T4 can be frisky if you clog it but roundabouts and mild b roads can be unnerving - i’m not sure if the wheel
size as i’m noob’ think we went for the 20 so maybe that’s it

as has been said each to their own
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

and my previous big driver was a tiguan - never once felt unnerved in that pointed it where to go and it did
Capirossi

Post by Capirossi »

Thank you all for your valuable input, and apologies if I opened a can of worms 😊

I understand this car isn't a sports car/toy, but whatever car I have, the main requisite is that I enjoy driving it. As I like a stiffer ride (ooh matron) and like to 'chuck it around a bit', the R-Design seems more suited to my requirements out of the choices I have (cicumstances dictate the decision not to have something fun 🙄😂) The looks are also more me. I get 'sassy but classy' from the R, where the Inscription says 'Classic and classy'. I am definitely more of a sassy bird! Albeit a bikeless one at the moment (prev was SV650s) It did make me smile to see the majority of bikers agree with me on the R too 😁

I have now finally decided on the R-Design Pro. I can forgo the camera as I barely use it on the current steed, only (as my boyfriend pointed out yesterday) to check there are no cats or dogs behind me before reversing!! so I met myself half-way by going Pro, with the inclusion of the heated seats and those beautiful 20inch wheels 😍

So, Onyx black R-Design Pro T3 manual on order, hoping for an October delivery.

I should caveat this by saying I also really like the Inscription and if I had no choice would be very happy with it, but given the choice my preference is less chrome 😊
Last edited by Capirossi on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

👏👏

Did you also get the leather seat? My last year RD-pro couldn't spec it but it is an option now.

Enjoy🤗
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

gt40 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:46 pm
balmoral wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:14 pm
gt40 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:14 am In my humble opinion, the minute you put chrome on a car it becomes an old man's car and has to be driven accordingly, preferably with string backed driving gloves. Leave the chrome off and it can be any car you want it to be.

Don't believe me? Next time you get held up on the twisty bits by someone doing 40 in a 60, or you get stuck at the back of a queue behind a caravan, check the amount of chrome on the culprit's car.

Get the R, spec it to your liking, and know that that person is not you.
On the basis of this remark I can only deduce that the R Design is targeted at ageist bigots!
Apologies for any offence, it was unintended
No problem. I was probably a bit too vehement in my response!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18