XC40 or Tiguan

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
booke02

Post by booke02 »

For a variety of reasons, I have narrowed down my choice to either a XC40 or Tiguan. If anyone has experience with both manufacturers, how would you compare VW and Volvo, purely from a ride-comfort perspective?

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Hmm....define ride comfort.

It's unlikely that you'll find anyone who's done back to backs on equivalent suspension & wheel size combos but, as someone who's done loads of Tiguan test drives before telling VW to go forth & cancelling my Tiguan order in favour of an XC40, I can offer my (possibly :D biased) opinion and that's that the Tiguan wins on ride smoothness but, because the Volvo has seats that embarass VW (massively), you'll feel waaaaayyyy better stepping out of the XC40 after a 200 mile trip.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Salmonfisher

Post by Salmonfisher »

I did an almost like for like change. I had a Tiguan 2.o TDI with off-road package for two and a bit years and have had my R Design 180 for just over a year.
Tiguan was a great car but just a little bit boring. It won on size particularly the big boot, was better off road and had a real punch if you put your foot down.
Prefer the XC40 for looks (by a mile), internals and screen, smoothness and comfort. Just wish it had a better boot and I did find the Tiguan's infotainment easier to use plus I got stuck in mud this winter.
Despite what you might read here I don't find any noticeable difference in mpg.
Depends what you want. XC40 is classier all round but Tiguan has more space (particularly boot) and is very practical.
Love the XC40 and only time I regret the change is when off on fishing holidays when I miss the space.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We also went from a new shape Tiguan to the XC40.
If I'm honest I'd say the Tiguan was better put together but a little less frills, the XC40 a little more glitzy. Ride quality between then 2, I'd say no real difference - both ran 18" wheels plus the Tiguan was just that little bit bigger (we could get 4 bikes on the Tiguan roof, only 3 on the XC40.
MPG wise, the Tiguan smashed the XC40 by a considerable margin however the Tiguan was a diesel and the XC40 a petrol.....
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

And VW was is the past selling us cars with fake emissions reports. That alone for me is enough to never look at another VW alone..
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

lfpcorreia wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm And VW was is the past selling us cars with fake emissions reports. That alone for me is enough to never look at another VW alone..

Wholeheartedly agree. Why people still buy them in droves I really don't understand.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

blastpipe wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:00 pm
lfpcorreia wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:39 pm And VW was is the past selling us cars with fake emissions reports. That alone for me is enough to never look at another VW alone..

Wholeheartedly agree. Why people still buy them in droves I really don't understand.
It’s good to know there are consumers looking to cars past their appearance/specs. I know all of them to some extent cheat, but VW by continuously denying, trying to fool everyone submitting monkeys to their cars exhausts, etc. how far would they go for profits? I mean if their cars would kill people by using nuclear power they would probably do it.. :)
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus