XC40 New Order POLSTAR?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
decw22

Post by decw22 »

Hi
Just ordered mine. A XC40 B4P R-Design Sport Pro in red. Moving from 2019 VW T-ROC 1.5 TSI, not because its a poor car, its not! I've had VW's for years but because of 'Covid 19', my VW dealership has had to close down in Rotherham. They gave me a £300 voucher for accessories on my next new car but I don't want to travel 30 miles for services etc. So............
My dad had a Volvo Amazon 122 back in the 1960's and I learned to drive in that fabulous red car of his. The Volvo dealership is not far away, so on a whim I made an Appointment and popped to see the cars on offer. Wow! I was very impressed not only by the staff at Riverside Volvo in Doncaster but by the cars. More expensive than VW so I needed to haggle and haggle good. The staff were brilliant, however, no coffee! 'Covid' again. Test drove the XC40 T4 a bit laggy compared to the VW but staff said the new B4P engine goes some way to mitigating the wait. The lag is not a deal breaker,however,I was wondering if a POLSTAR upgrade might be a good idea either to have it done before I collect the car or at the first service. What do you guys think?
Last edited by decw22 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

It's a very personal thing. Maybe advisable not to have it on delivery as a) Volvo often have offers on it post- delivery and, b) it's dead money if you adjust to the relaxed style of the Volvo & start driving in eco mode everywhere.

Polestar won't make your XC40 lose 370kg, nor will it turn the gearbox into a DSG.

I think you'll find the XC40 better in so many ways compared to the T-Roc but.........it will never feel as sprightly. You will also soon realise that there's a HUGE mpg range depending on how you drive it - 44mpg on a relaxed motorway cruise, 18mpg having fun around the lanes. Driving in Polestar mode will cost you (twice).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
decw22

Post by decw22 »

Hi,

Cheers; respect your advice it seems very sensible. Will have to get used to the reduced mpg. I will fill up with 'V Power' and enjoy the luxury of my new Volvo come September.

Cheers, thanks for the advice
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

decw22 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:15 pm and enjoy the luxury of my new Volvo come September.

That's the spirit (or lack of it :lol: ).

You will, most likely.........either enjoy the luxury & the superb Volvo comfort or........you will look longingly at that Polo GTI :twisted:
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Silly question, can the T/B 4 XC40 variant be polestared?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I had VWs and Audis for years (still got one) and moved from a Skoda Yeti and the VW Group because I couldn't get what I wanted spec. wise. Did me a favour because I then looked around and came across the XC40 which ticks all the boxes. It's comfortable, relaxing to drive and looks great.

I actually drive over 30 miles to the dealer I purchased from for servicing even though I have dealers much closer. That distance wouldn't be a reason for me changing cars that early! But I was used to commuting 20 miles each way when I was working.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Goldfish wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:30 pm Silly question, can the T/B 4 XC40 variant be polestared?
Silly? Not

Good? Yes

I have a T4 and received a seemingly personalised offer not long after delivery. Wasn't interested so don't know if it was actually possible.

Completely personal opinion here but, as T5 doesn't incur such a huge premium and, with typical use, returns circa 50% on trade-in (as opposed to Polestar which is dead money), T4 + Polestar does seem an odd (if possible) choice.
Real name Carl
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Goldfish

Post by Goldfish »

Just found this, T4 is not possible.

Screenshot_20200716-231644__01.jpg