Audio upgrade options (retrofit/aftermarket)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

Hi all,

I have a question for those who may know something about options when it comes to the audio system in the XC40.

Here in Denmark we have the "regular" performance audio for the Momentum and you're also able to upgrade that to high performance audio or harmon kardon.

I didn't realise that my Momentum only came with the "base" performance audio, until it was post the date where I couldn't do any changes, so my dealer wasn't able to add in the high performance, which is not that substantial an amount compared to the other packages, sunroof etc. I had in it.

So now I'm looking into my options. It seems that it's not possible to retrofit/upgrade to high performance, and the standard/base performance audio is only like 3-5 speakers while high performance is 8. So I wanted to hear of other fellow XC40 owners have experience with with audio upgrades ?

Thanks and all the best from Copenhagen.

Mike Wazowski

Post by Mike Wazowski »

Just for info as I have next to no knowledge of available improvements.
Here in the UK we have two levels of audio - high performance and the Harmon Kardon upgrade, we don't seem to have the standard as you describe, unless they've changed things with the 2021 model.

The high performance is a 8 speaker system
x1 Woofer in dash
x1 Speaker in centre top of dash
x2 Tweeters in A pillars
x2 Speakers in front doors
x2 Speakers in TOP rear doors
8 SPEAKERS in TOTAL

Harmon Kardon System
8 Speakers as above but higher quality
Plus 5no additional speakers:
x2 Speakers in BOTTOM rear doors
x2 Speakers in rear roof
x1 Sub woofer in rear wheel arch
13 SPEAKERS in TOTAL
Stavut

Post by Stavut »

Thanks a lot for the overview. Much appreciated. So the basic "performance audio" that is offered in Denmark has
1x Woofer in Dash
1x Speaker in Centre top of Dash
x2 Speakers in front doors

The a pillar tweeter cover is there but there is nothing in side. Wiring probably not there. Was annoying to find out after the date of where changes could be ordered had passed and I was hoping that retrofitting was an option but seems like it's not, as I've gotten a reply from a very experienced Volvo dealer/shop that says the upgrade is not possible.
alessana

Post by alessana »

Same problem here in Italy....
I already wrote to dealer and to volvo international.
It seems there is no way to have rear speakers...
that's incredible that for a car of this level
If you have the same problem please write to international@volvocars.com
more complain they will receive and more possibility to have a kind of Uprgrade Kit for who have the same problem

there's safety in numbers
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

alessana wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:07 pm Same problem here in Italy....
I already wrote to dealer and to volvo international.
It seems there is no way to have rear speakers...
that's incredible that for a car of this level
If you have the same problem please write to international@volvocars.com
more complain they will receive and more possibility to have a kind of Uprgrade Kit for who have the same problem

there's safety in numbers
Or you could go to a professional automotive audio installer who will be able to do whatever you want with as many speakers as you want in as many locations as you want and give you a system that is light years better than the Samsung system Volvo use for upgrades
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Agree with m@rk - but would say, it's a must to go to an automotive audio professional if you don't want what could be big problems doing it yourself.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Only thing I would add, is trying to find one thats had some dealings with the Volvo system - I made a few calls around August / September, discussed what I was after and they'd said they speak to their speaker reps etc and get back to me, first return call back from me - still waiting for them to speak to the rep and I'm still waiting for a return call !!

Shame really, I suspect it could be an excellent setup
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

XC40 sound system uses fiber optic cables, just simply adding extra speakers is complicated, it requires cabling, new channels and recalibration of the existing amplifier, it would be hard to find a professional car audio shop with enough experience to do it right. The other option is to upgrade the amplifier, replace the existing speakers, add new speakers with new corresponding wires and calibrate the sound for the car’s interior. That’s something a professional automotive audio installer can do, but it will be very expensive.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Probably cheaper, and best in the long run, to just realise (and accept) you have brought the wrong car and go back and choose one with the level of audio you want