Volvo XC40 Apple Car play

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I got electric seats and sunroof and i'm 190cm or so - pretty close!
I got some space to spare until i'd hit my head, but that might also be because of a tailbone injury that doesn't allow me to keep the seat upright as i've seen many do.

I actually prefer it a lot more a bit leaned back, so that works out nicely and i can fit in the car no problem!

mss911

Post by mss911 »

PODxc40 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:10 pm I've been going through the Volvo build your own XC40 and see what options ill decide on. Now I notice that Apple Car Play isn't in this car by default which is a real shame as a lot of manufactures include this feature by default but it's an added extra found in the "Lounge Pack"
I'd strongly recommend getting a demo of the CarPlay implementation in the XC40 before committing £££'s to it. As I've learnt having driven a bmw setup not all CarPlay implementations are equal & the volvo is a bit lacking. The way it is squeezed into the bottom half of the centre screen makes it very 'crampted' looking especially when trying to use navigation map for example. Always having to use the usb cable can makes things very inconvenient when getting into / exiting the vehicle.

Small issues for some I'm sure but I'm just not using it anymore :-(
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

The new iOS 14 upgrade will change the way CarPlay is displayed in Portrait screens. I read about it the other day and the Volvo was mentioned specifically. Haven’t seen a picture of what the changes are, guess we will have to wait until it’s launched later this year. It’s only in beta at the moment. Bit about it here https://www.carplaylife.com/news/horizo ... e-carplay/
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I can confirm i have public beta 2 on iOS 14 and no change. Yes. the new version is there, i could set a wallpaper etc.

They probably need to work more on it, but i feel it'll need an update from Volvo as well
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

We will definitely benefit from the new bottom screen bar display in iOS 14 CarPlay. Apple is stating: “Horizontal status bar: Cars with portrait screens can have the status bar on the bottom of the CarPlay screen, allowing for wider app views and a more natural layout”
stu22

Post by stu22 »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 am We will definitely benefit from the new bottom screen bar display in iOS 14 CarPlay. Apple is stating: “Horizontal status bar: Cars with portrait screens can have the status bar on the bottom of the CarPlay screen, allowing for wider app views and a more natural layout”
Does that not exist already, sure that my wife's iPhone shows as an additional horizontal bar?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

stu22 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:12 pm
eugen61 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:29 am We will definitely benefit from the new bottom screen bar display in iOS 14 CarPlay. Apple is stating: “Horizontal status bar: Cars with portrait screens can have the status bar on the bottom of the CarPlay screen, allowing for wider app views and a more natural layout”
Does that not exist already, sure that my wife's iPhone shows as an additional horizontal bar?
We’re talking about the bar being displayed on the central console screen when connecting your iPhone to the car via cable. Currently, in iOS 13 the bar is displayed vertically on the side of the console screen. The upcoming iOS 14 will display the bar horizontally at the bottom.
Last edited by eugen61 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:42 pm
We’re talking about the bar being displayed on the central console screen when connecting your iPhone to the car via cable. Currently, in iOS 13 the bar is displayed vertically on the side of the console screen. The upcoming iOS 14 will display the bar horizontally at the bottom or at the top.
Yes, that's how it is now on our car? About a third of the screen, at the bottom.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

stu22 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:47 pm
eugen61 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:42 pm

We’re talking about the bar being displayed on the central console screen when connecting your iPhone to the car via cable. Currently, in iOS 13 the bar is displayed vertically on the side of the console screen. The upcoming iOS 14 will display the bar horizontally at the bottom or at the top.
Yes, that's how it is now on our car? About a third of the screen, at the bottom.
Please see the bar marked with red on the left side of the screen. That’s the one we’re talking about.

4149EB19-ABE4-4C44-BA4E-DB1DB1749F1F.jpeg

globox

Post by globox »

This will not be available out of the gate for Volvo cars.

Carplay will move the status bar to the bottom of the display automatically only if it detects an aspect ratio which corresponds to a Portrait screen.

Right now, Volvo's implementation is actually a landscape one, given that the width is larger than the height for the Carplay app.

So in order for this to work, Volvo needs to update their Carplay implementation and make it larger or at least resizable. Given the fact that Volvo didn't update Sensus to benefit from the APIs released last year in iOS 13, I seriously doubt they are still investing in the current infotainment (consider the fact that they are in the middle of a transition to the Android Automotive one - so they probably won't be supporting the current lineup with new features).

Sucks for us as customers, but that's the business they seem to be in.